Question about power conditioners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upinsmoke

Reaction score
I had a question regarding power conditioners. I've been looking at a few that combine both protection from surges in addtional to voltage regulation. I came down to a Belkin AVU1500 (has a battery backup too), APC H15 and Panamax M5400. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge regarding any of these products (about the same? significant difference between units in quality of filtering/volt. reg.?).

Can't say I'm an electrical eng. (but did talk to one this weekend - should have asked him lol).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Leo

Hi Leo,

There are very few PLC's on the market that can claim total neutrality.

And for those that do, be ready to spend alot of money.

Within the three choices you've listed, the best advice, I believe, is to try them in your system and determine what the drawbacks are for each.

Assuming your system is of sufficient transparency, you should be able to make that determination.

The usual suspects are loss of dynamics, soundstaging / imaging, quickness, and effects on the tonality of the music.

In theory, the PLC should make the background noise (inherent system noise) "black" and allow one to listen deeper into the music.

Choose the one that has the least amount of negative effects on the music.

And do try the amp plugged into the PLC versus the wall outlet. Many PLC's limit the current draw to the amp thereby making the the overall sound less dynamic and engaging. As a result, many folks, including myself, bypass the PLC and plug the amp directly into the wall plug.

Hope that helps and good luck.

GG

Gordon's advice is spot on and thorough.

I would only add that if given the opportunity, and you do get the chance to try out some PLCs in your system, you might just try to listen to one of the Running Springs Audio PLCs, including plugging your amp into the RSA. I know many of the higher end PLCs allow no risk trials. :D

It may give you the perspective to consider going up the food chain to one of the higher end conditioners.

Or it may confirm your choice at the lower end and allow you to focus future upgrades just on audio gear.

Although you could argue that the high end PLCs actually are audio gear upgrades.:D Or not.:D

Only your ears and your system can tell you.

All three of the ones on your list are going to color the sound significantly. If you have a Running Springs dealer nearby, they will arrange a home trial for you. Within about 30 sec, you should be able to hear a massive difference....

I've plugged everything from a 3 watt SET to the big 1200 watt McIntosh MC1.2kw's into the Jaco, Dmitiri and Maxim, all to great effect with no drawbacks.

Jeff,

I'd love to buy an RSA unit but they are very pricey. Not to say they are not worth the investment but ...

The top "Dimitri" with a good quality power cord goes for $6 -7K.

A pity one can't find a unit that gets one reasonably close without having to spend that many $$.

Absent surge protection, the other issue is how poor the AC quality is in your area. I assume the better the incoming power, the less one would hear the benefits of a high quality PLC.

GG

I recently switched from a ~$100 Monster conditioner to the Panamax 5400 and it was a huge improvement. My audio gear partially shares a circuit with my fish tank gear (which occupies all of 2 15amp circuits and a few amps on my audio circuit! lol) so it needs all the help that it can get. I was able to get the silly best buy worker to knock the price on the panamax all the way down to $320! I am sure he got fired for that, but hey, he should have known better. haha

Jeff,

I'd love to buy an RSA unit but they are very pricey. Not to say they are not worth the investment but ...

The top "Dimitri" with a good quality power cord goes for $6 -7K.

A pity one can't find a unit that gets one reasonably close without having to spend that many $$.

Absent surge protection, the other issue is how poor the AC quality is in your area. I assume the better the incoming power, the less one would hear the benefits of a high quality PLC.

GG

Gordon,

If you check A'gon periodically you can get them for less than half that. I did and hope to get a Maxim sooner or later.

Used Jacos are going for about 1800 with power cord as a number of owners are trading up to the Dmitri/Maxim series. That is still an amazing upgrade to your system.

I have used two Belkins (without batt backup) since day one with the Vantages, so not sure if they changed the sound or not. The cables, conditioners, speakers, and amp have all burned in together.

Latest posts

Back