q sound 3d and panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit disappointed. I am starting to thinking that my living-room is not adequate even for my Puritys.
So far I was happy with the soundstage of my speakers. now I am thinking that maybe some mini monitors would have even better integration to my room.

Nikos, unfortunately, that might be the case. :(

As 'live' as that room seems, a small point source monitor + a good sub might be more compatible with your living room.

It's one of the challenges of ML ESL ownership that placement and room interaction are very important and need to be factored into the overall decision.

As a speaker, they outperform pretty much anything else, but do require a good setup to reveal their true abilities.

I decided not to give up...
I read a lot, I spend time in measurements and I change the speakers placement.
I had a small improvement in sound stage and a bigger improvement in q sound effect reproduction!

P1010351.jpg

then I place 2 chairs behind the speakers and 2 pillows in each chair. then I covered the chairs with curtains (home made absorber...) and the results where even better.

I would like to ask you if I can make something like HF minitraps to test the results.any material that I can find locally just for testing purposes?

thanks to a great Group
Nikos

Looks a bit better

This looks to me to be your best set-up yet. I think you could work with this. I have my system set-up in a like fashion, with a large window in between. I get surprising results.
I will try to post updated pics tonight as my system has changed dramatically.

Doug - out

This looks to me to be your best set-up yet. I think you could work with this. I have my system set-up in a like fashion, with a large window in between. I get surprising results.
I will try to post updated pics tonight as my system has changed dramatically.

Doug - out

thanks a lot. I would check your pics later.

Wow!

I got Amused to Death and the "Unofficial/Official" copy of Dark Side of the Moon in DVDA with 4.1 surround sound. I got them both on the same day and all I can say is Wow! Really amazing discs, great surround sound material some of the best. For those with surround sound systems these are two great discs, thanks for the Amused to Death suggestion, I found the DSOTM DVDA because of my search for Amused to Death. Great Christmas present, Thanks again.:music:

1. Students of the art should hear the LP. I have!

2. The Pink Floyd DVD, Pulse is done in Q Sound.

Vinyl Classics CD pressing

Just received and listened to the German pressing / Vinyl Classics CD last night. Remastered by Doug Sax.

The "stock" version is quite good. This pressing is over the top. Warmer, fuller, more expansive / defined sonics with absolutely spectacular imaging effects.

For those who like Roger and this particular CD, well worth the price.

Total cost from CD Universe, including ship, was $15.94.

GG

Last edited:
I concur ! Aside from the sound effects and huge staging of some things.(It kind of reminds me of the old Carver days with Sonic Holography). The music is outstanding. I felt like I was listening to old Pink Floyd.....The Wall type stuff. Yes the dog comes from almost behind my right shoulder and the motorcycle starts there and ends behind the left speaker. There are several other ques that are way out in space but those seem to be the ones you notice.

Aside from recently getting the ML Aeon i's, I've been a PF nut since the 80s, getting acquainted through the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" album and going through everything they put out. "Amused to Death", which was one of the first albums I heard when I got into hi-end audio many years ago, was a relevation in what 2-channel stereo could achieve. I've used it as a test CD ever since because somehow I'm more of a Gilmour fan than a Waters fan.(Throw arguments out the window, this is a subjective thing more than anything else! :D)

In any case, my current setup doesn't allow me to hear the dog barking as I normally did in my past system setups. I know my small living room is capable (11.5 ft x 13.5 ft) and I'll have a pic of my setup shortly once I get home from traveling all the time for work to sit down and do it. However, the announcer on the radio effect on the first track "Ballard of Bill Hubbard" is always off to the front left of the speaker plane. This would indicate an imbalance in my setup and arrangement on the right side speaker, since there IS an opening on the right wall into my kitchen (damn San Francisco condos from the Edwardian era, which are typically small cramped but cozy spaces :mad:).

There are a lot of new things to learn with setting up ML speakers and this old dog needs to learn new tricks now to get things sounding their best. But "Amused to Death" is definitely a great disc to test whether your setup is optimal or not. Agreed!

Ok, I’m very late to the game for comments on the Amused to Death recording. I just recently realized a couple of things about this disk. One is that I have it (forgot that I had it) and came about it in an unusual way (long irrelevant story) and the other is that it was the disk that the guy I bought my (now gone) SL3s from used it to demo his speakers when I bought them from. Tim’s comments about the car snapped my memory and I went scrambling through my collection to see if I actually had this recording.

Anyways, this recording does have some incredible imaging and effects. I actually got to sit down and listen to it a bit this past Saturday morning. My favorite is the beginning of track 3. The rolling thunder sounds amazing. The piano on the right almost appears to be coming from 8 feet to the right of my right speaker, well beyond my side wall. And yes the dog at the very beginning appears 30-40 feet over my right shoulder. I haven’t had goose bumps like that in a long time.

Last edited:
Funny thing about QSound--it is fundamentally the same sort of signal processing as Carver's "Sonic Holography", dealing with inte-raural crosstalk cancellation, EQ curve adjustment, etc.

When Bob came out with preamps with the SH feature in the 1980's the "audiophile press" called it a "gimmick" and said it was just a "gee whiz" feature that didn't do anything good to the sound...

But when a record company uses VERY similar tech to put this sort of processed signal right into the recordings, it's lauded as some sort of "breakthrough"...

Hmmm...

Well, we all know that the "audiophile press" has had a butt in their saddle for Bob since the infamous "Carver Challenge" where he made them all look ridiculous back in 1985. And judging by their track record with Bob, I would forward the assertion that the "audiophile press" who reviewed SH-equipped gear didn't like it because they didn't take the time to follow the setup and tweeking instructions, because in their opinion, ANYTHING coming of Bob Carver's bench doesn't really deserve serious consideration anyway...

I have heard a few QSound discs, and they DO sound pretty good if you've got the speakers set up correctly. Is it a "better" implementation of the effect than the newest "digital domain" version of SH in the Sunfire pre/pro's? Hard to say. But the one GREAT thing about SH is that you can turn it on or off--AT THE USER'S DISCRETION--something you can't do with a QSound disc.

IMO, it's all about control--I would prefer to have the OPTION of sound processing in my listening experience. And I think that very issue--the issue of personal control--is perhaps behind the "audiophile press" stance on SH vs QSound. They just can't stomach the idea that the "unwashed masses" might actually be clever enough to get good sound on their own, without the "adult supervision" of a recording studio...

And really, just how "hi-fi" can a sound pressessing technology be that's major maret share is the sountracks for video games?...

Last edited:
Back