Purity - signal cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefan

Reaction score
So, now I have had the Puritys for about half a year and I must say I am really happy about the sound. Latest upgrade was to replace the original power cords with a pair of Transparent HPPL and even though I was a bit sceptical before I must say the exchange gave a bit more "punch" to the sound.

But somehow that didn't completely relieve me from upgradeitis (is there any cure ? :rolleyes:) so now I am thinking of a pair of new interconnects for the speakers.
I am leaning towards a pair of Transparent Super.

But it would really interresting to know from any other Purity-users out there, what are you using?
Has anyone tried different cables and if so, which ones and did you notice any differences?

No one?
Well, I got myself a pair of Transparent Super mm2 signal cables instead of the Epilogues from Sommer Cable and did I hear a difference?
Oh yes :music: clearer, more distinct, wider soundstage. Simply more fun.
At first I thought the treble was slightly harsh but that disappeared after 5-10 hours.
Amazing how sweet those little Puritys can play.

I must admit that cables has more influence than I ever thought possible.

I just can't help but wonder, how would Transparent Ultra sound. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Stefan, cables are a sensitive subject around here right now... ask again in a month or two when everyone has chilled out:)

There has been plenty of discussion about cables here (speaker, IC, PC, etc.) that a search will reveal.

Cables are very subjective in terms of performance - can you hear a difference, vesus price - how much can you afford or are willing to spend?

Do not get caught up in all the marketing hype of cables, personal/subjective opinions, rather trust what you hear.

OK Bernard - here's my verdict on interconnect, then. I can only detect subtle differences with the ones I have tried, whereas with speaker cable I hear really significant changes.

I decided I prefered copper based ICs to silver after quite some time living with both. The most I have ever spent on ICs is about £150, though, for the silver ones - down from £400!!! I use Nordost Red Dawn, Neotech - opps - I still use silver for my phono stage output, and some high grade Teac ICs of which I do not know the cost.

The obvious rule for ICs and speaker cables is to keep them as short as possible - that way they'll have less influence, which is what you want unless yout deliberately fine trimming the sound or are too scared to shorten them.

Stefan - can't help you with specifics on the cables you talk about.

Last edited:
purity are special in terms of cables because are selfpowered. so you NEED long interconnects (the amp is into the speakers) and you NEED low capacitance audio cable.
bluejeanscable for me. cheap and works fine.

OK Bernard - here's my verdict on interconnect, then. I can only detect subtle differences with the ones I have tried, whereas with speaker cable I hear really significant changes.

I decided I prefered copper based ICs to silver after quite some time living with both.
With interconnects it varies a lot. I heard very subtle differences between Discovery Signature and Cardas Neutral Reference (my cable of choice), but I heard huge differences between Cardas Neutral Reference and one I was using that was lower down in the Cardas lineup.

I agree with you on the significant differences between speaker cables.

I also agree on the silver, though I must admit to not spending a lot of time with silver.

Last edited:
I decided I prefered copper based ICs to silver after quite some time living with both.
What is your opinions on all copper cables versus hybrid copper (has silver and other alloys in it)? Again for your setup and your preferences.

There are very few Silver Cables I have heard and like. Not always, but silver can sound more detailed or brighter, and can be fatiguing. I have heard both great and very poor sounding cables regardless of their metallurgy components. L-R-C, cable geometry, and connectors play a much higher part in the sound of a cable that what it is made of IMO.

Well, the Red Dawn is a copper/silver hybrid and I have it terminated with Eichmann bullets and only 50cm in length. I think Red Dawn is great stuff - but it is old hat now.

And the Neotech silver I use on my phono stage is the same length.

So actually, when it boils down to it, I am using copper, copper/silver hybrid and silver!

So let's qualify this with a further statement - when I said I prefer copper, nearly all my experimenting was with the IC on my CD player, trying to get it to sound as "analogue" as possible.

To be honest, I am NOT an IC expert. I just haven't tried that many - especially expensive ones. I sort of concluded that at least for me, it isn't worth the time and money required to investigate it much further.

Last edited:
Back