PS3 Audio Connections

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
All you PS3 heads - I was helping my friend choose an audio system and now he says he wants to use a PS3 as the source......WTF? I know, I know. But anyway, I at least told him he should connect it through a good DAC to get somewhat decent quality out of it.

My question is, what sort of output options are available on the PS3? I'm sure playing CDs would be fine - I believe it has a S/PDIF connector, but will this connector output standard 2-channel PCM for decoding by an audiophile DAC when playing DVDs and BluRay discs encoded in DTS, DolbyHD, etc? How does that work? Am I suggesting the wrong thing by a DAC - does he need a AV receiver/processor for this? It's all new to me - I just want him to get decent audio qulaity!

Actually the PS3 isn't a bad source to use. It has a zillion (well maybe not quite that many) settings so that you can do pretty much anything you want with it. The optical digital connection will pass the stereo soundrack as long as you set the default mode to stereo PCM. One of the other interesting things about the PS3 for stereo, is it actually gives you a choice of digital filtering including an upsampling mode to 176.4khz. Personally I haven't played with that feature much, I still prefer to use my DVP-9000ES for CD because it's quieter than the PS3. (The disk drive and cooling fans can get on peoples nerves if you are bothered by that sort of thing.)

The PS3 is a decent DVD player and it is great for Blu Ray discs.

In the interest of full disclosure on the PS3, because it was designed to be used with wireless joysticks, it doesn't have an infrared remote receiver. You either have to get a separate remote ($25US) or a translator that will convert IR remote commands into the wireless signal that the PS3 needs.

I would actually recommend that rather than buy a separate DAC just for stereo, that your friend either get a new receiver, or a pre-pro. That way you can use the HDMI cable out of the PS3. One simple connection and the D-A conversion is handled by the pre-pro. Here in the states I was able to get a great deal on the Marantz AV-8003. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be such a good deal down under.

The possibilities are nearly endless when you have something as flexible as the PS3 in the system. Have fun exploring all the options.

Chuck

To access the HD data such as SACD or DD HD you have to connect through HDMI. If you get a Pre-amp that will accommodate HDMI switching you should be good to go. This is how I access all the High RES formats off of my PS3.

Thanks guys - so he should at least be able to get CD/DVD/BluRay audio to a stereo DAC. He's not really interested in filling up his house with speakers, and wanted a good stereo audio system. It's just that someone must have told him the PS3 would do as a source - I would never have recommended it, but it does sound like quite a flexible and not so bad unit!

Latest posts

Back