Preamps/DAC?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger92

Reaction score
I need some help guys! I'll be taking delivery of a pair of Puritys very soon and I want to invest in a nice two channel preamp for them. I am also purchasing an Oppo DV980 too. I'd love to go Mac, ARC, or Cary but I'm on a budget. I see a few of you have Benchmark and Rotel.

Two questions: Can the Benchmark DAC1 be used as a preamp and DAC? What else is out there for under $3k?

Thanks!

Attachments

• monarchy m24.jpg
    monarchy m24.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 187
Ask sleepysurf. I seem to recall that he tried his DAC-1 as pre-amp for a while.

However, considering that you will have to run much longer than usual interconnects from the pre to the Purities, and that the latters' input impedance is quite low at 14kOhm, you'll need a pre-amp with a beefy output stage. I guess that rules out tubes and passives, and possibly the DAC-1 pre, too.

IMO ML cut costs in the worst way when they decided to provide speaker level inputs instead of balanced inputs and circuits.

IMO ML cut costs in the worst way when they decided to provide speaker level inputs instead of balanced inputs and circuits.

The Purity does have a line level input in addition to its speaker level inputs, albeit not a balanced one. It is an unbalanced RCA input. I agree that balanced inputs would have been nice.

At any rate, I wouldn't think this would be a big problem as long as you keep inductance, resistance, and capacitance low on your cables and keep them a reasonable length.

Ask sleepysurf. I seem to recall that he tried his DAC-1 as pre-amp for a while.

Indeed, I *DID* try my Benchmark DAC-1 as a pre-amp, direct to my Belles amp. Overall, it gave superb detail, however, I found it a bit too "analytical" sounding, and missed not having remote volume control, and home theater bypass (for dual use in a surround sound setup paired with my A/V receiver). I ended up getting the Modwright Pre, which added some tube warmth, along with those other features.

I've also read good reviews of the Monarchy unit, but have never heard one. I believe they offer a 30 day return policy. While at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Oct, I recall hearing of some other higher-end companies developing combo Preamp/DAC units, but I don't recall which ones. Given the increasing popularity of streamed music, and powered speakers like the Purity, I'm sure this will be a "hot" new component niche in the future. I would post this question on a few other forums like Audiocircle, Audiogon, or Audio Asylum, which has a larger general readership.

Ahhh, I remember one of the new ones... the Bryston BP 26 DA... not sure of the price point tho.

I've heard of quite a few instances of headphone amplifiers being used as preamps. What is the technical difference, if any?

I just listened to the ARC SP17 at a local dealer. No doubt sounded really nice. I know it's ARC's entry level preamp but I am very interested in it. My dealer also told me that he may be able to get the SP16 for me at a very attractive price. What do you guys think of using one of these pieces with my Puritys?

If you go with an anolog pre-amp I would consider a different source than the Oppo. Oppo makes great stuff for the money but would be the weak link if asked to perform DAC duties.

Back