Optrix CD Clarifier

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
I don't know how or why but treating CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As with the Optrix CD Clarifier/Cleansers leads to an increase in well, clarity and a decrease in high frequency grunge. Images are more clearly outlined with a better 3D appearance.

Why this works I have no idea, but I have two identical discs (Telemann: Les Plaisirs--Harmonia Mundi 907093) and there is a clear difference between the treated and untreated discs.

Any comments?

Maybe it makes the disk easier to read, which results in fewer error correction activities. Less error correction equals better sound??

Maybe it makes the disk easier to read, which results in fewer error correction activities. Less error correction equals better sound??

That is certainly something I considered but both disc were visually perfect, though not on the scale of the laser light so that is a possibility. What really interest me is the idea that the EC is supposed to be transparent sound wise yet many tweaks to discs improve the sound.

That is correct; and it's correct because there are only so many bits per sec. available and the more are being read as errors (so they can be corrected) the less get turned into music. You can "force" errors by for example enlarging the center hole of a CD, or warping it a bit over the stove and listen to the machine falling all over itself trying to stay on track :D

The ability to do error correction after ripping a CD is one the benefits of using a good CD ripping software. For example using the EAC software program to rip a CD to a lossless FLAC file. EAC is supposed to be able to correct errors to 100% or very close by comparing files with an online database.

I presume minimizing errors when reading a CD is one of the most important features of a transport. If Optrix Clarifier helps a laser to better read a CD than it should result in an improvement in sound. Sounds good in theory.

The ability to do error correction after ripping a CD is one the benefits of using a good CD ripping software. For example using the EAC software program to rip a CD to a lossless FLAC file. EAC is supposed to be able to correct errors to 100% or very close by comparing files with an online database.

I presume minimizing errors when reading a CD is one of the most important features of a transport. If Optrix Clarifier helps a laser to better read a CD than it should result in an improvement in sound. Sounds good in theory.

Hey Guys,

I don't know if any of you have come across it written somewhere that ripped CDs usually sound better than the originals.

Seems that, looking at the playing side of commercial CDs, the pits and lands actually look like bumps and lands, a result of the manufacturing process. On the other hand, on CD-Rs (not CD-RWs), the pits and lands are exactly that as seen by the laser beam.

The scattering of the laser beam from a bump is greater than that from the concave pit of a CD-R, resulting in the latter being more precisely read and better sounding than a commercial CD. It probably also explains why CD treatments that purport to reduce the reflected laser light have more effect on them.

Agreed!

FWIW, I treat all my CD's with the recommended Mapleshade three step process. The first is applying the MS "Microsmooth" fluid; the second is Optrix; and the third is the MS anti stat gun.

I was very skeptical about all of this and started with the Optrix. A clearly audible improvement. With all three steps, its even better.

As for the sonic improvement, I assume its all about the laser and how it reads the CD pits.

Bottom line, well worth it IMHO.

GG

PS: I've done the before / after test with non audio types. This group was also able to hear the difference.

Last edited:
Back