Off to the Inauguration

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrumpetDoug

Reaction score
Thought I would let all know I will be performing at the "Home States Inaugural Ball" at the DC Convention Center. Me and three of my best friends pictured here will be leaving at 7:00 AM.

Playing with the Don Cagen Orchestra based out of Northbrook IL. a NW suburb of Chicago. I will post some pics when I get back if anyone is interested.

Doug - out

Attachments

• Trumpet 3.jpg
    Trumpet 3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 169
Interested ....Yes!

Wonderful for you, you'll be a part of history in the making! Good for you.
:bowdown:

I'm Back

Got back home at 4:00 am on Thursday. A bit tired and a very awesome experience. Here is a pic from the "Ball" taken from on stage, more to come

Doug - out

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 116
excellent Doug, a lifetime experience for sure !!

What an awesome gig! You da Man T.D. !!!

More pic's please and who was there, what did you play, how did it go, etc.

Satch

Jack Johnson

Here is a couple of pics of Jack on the screen and on stage. Jack is from Hawaii and I'm sure this is why he was at the "Home States Ball"

Doug - out

Attachments

• Jumbo screen.jpg
    Jumbo screen.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 96
Had a great view

How close did you get to the pres? Within view?

Very cool...

I have a nice video from the speech he gave at our ball. Does anyone know how I could let you folks see it? I also have some footage of Jack Johnson and the Rap artist "Common" The rap music in general is not my "cup of tea" but it was a bit inspiring that night, and his band did kick @$$.

Here is another pic. The "centerpiece" in the room that night.

Doug - out

Attachments

• Centerpiece.jpg
    Centerpiece.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 85
Here is a nice pic of the Presidential stage just before the party got underway.

Notice the Secret Service.

Doug - out

Attachments

• Presidential stage.jpg
    Presidential stage.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 76
Stage view

Here is another view from the stage. The gentleman holding the camera out front with the tux and tails is the band leader Don Cagen.:bowdown:

We were on schedule to play 1 1/2 hours however we found the schedule was a bit fluid. We ended up playing 3 hours straight no break. Believe me when I tell you that is a challenge, esp. when you have paced yourself for half that.:( We played up until the moment Obama entered. Biden was to come first but that was not to be as he showed up an hour later. A bit out of sequence.

Attachments

• Stage Don.jpg
    Stage Don.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 72
Wow, thanks for posting. Great pictures.

Congratulations on playing at what must have been a wonderful event.

I have a lot of faith and confidence in President Obama and glad you got to play at this historically important event.

I also noticed that gorgeous CJ amp!

Me and the Boss

Here is the boss on the right. I guess that means its me on the left.
This was taken right after a very long night, about 12:30 am

Doug - out

Attachments

• The Boss.jpg
    The Boss.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 64
That had to be a very cool experience. What type or genre/songs does your band play? Any Miles?

That had to be a very cool experience. What type or genre/songs does your band play? Any Miles?

A band like this one can play nearly anything. Everyone at every position in the group is a skilled musician and can read fly scat at 50 yards. Don has some staff arrangers that can put pen to paper (so to speak) and churn out any style or any genre.
For this event we were asked to start light with Basie and Standards. When people start to dance, pick it up and slide into R&B and pop. Thats what we did and we had the crowd going for a solid 3 hours.

There are a number of "special event" bands like this one in Chicago. Few in this league, maybe 4, (of which I play 10 - 15 times a year with three of them). Don's group seems to uniquely inspire a crowd to have a good time at virtually every event I've done with them.

To answer your question about Miles..........not really. Think more Chet Baker, Basie, at least at the top of the night.

Doug - out

Whole band pic

Just got this pic a couple of days ago and thought I would share. This was taken on one of our very short breaks. One person missing in this pic is our sound engineer Jack Alexander. He is head of Staff at Columbia College in Chicago in the pro sound dept. He is a audiophile supreme!! Had him over to the house a couple of times and he loved the logans. He at one time owned Soundlabs and Quads, so loves the Electrostatic sound.
BTW he was the guy that bought my Threshold when I got the CJ.

Doug - out

Attachments

• whole-band.jpg
    whole-band.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 37
Back