Now that I own Summits, over to Carpets and Rugs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
First, thanks to all the MLO members. Two months ago I was newbie who knew Sony and Panasonic, walked into a dealer's place for an HT, was auditioned the B&W MT60. Didn't do anything for me, got exposed to floorstanders. After loving KEF and B&W, thanks to Avforums, moved on to this forum and Meridian Unplugged, auditioned various systems including Dynaudio, Linn, Paradigm, Monitor, Vandy, Spendor, Def Tech, Sonus Fabre, with Arcam, Pioneer, Krell, Sugden, and AR, until juggling between ML and MEridian, until finally settling for ML. And yes, I only get to audition on Saturdays, so the chatting in between helped me reach my decision.

Now, I have put in an offer for a property, where these Summits will move into, so on to my next post

Is there a specific type of carpet or rug that helps room treatment, or any that doesn't. I will be putting it into a new property, so I have a lot of flexibility. Wooden floors, high ceilings. Does wool, poly propylene, mo hair, etc make a difference, or are all the same. Softer the carpet the better, or the thin flat ones. Hairy (Shaggy) carpets work better?

Also, I might out granite slabs below the Summits. Will that make a difference to the carpet being under it?

Should the carpet start from under the Summit, or from in front of it

Hola again Bonzo. The rugs absorbs the reflection of the ceiling. They should be no too thick and not too thin. Also depends of how much high frequency you want to take out and reverberation of your dedicated room. Your room should be asymmetric, this is to avoid the standing waves. But every room has standing waves. With the furniture, rugs, and curtains, we can adjust our room for better sound. If you can, here is a video from ML where you can adjust better the room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckoqpBmS_mw Happy listening!

Last edited:
Everything Roberto said. But also this: because MLs are line source planar speakers, they don't have a lot of vertical dispersion in the mid to higher frequencies. Therefore, floor and ceiling reflections aren't as big of a problem as with point source speakers. But horizontal reflections are a big issue. So ultimately, the treatments you have on the wall behind your speakers and on the side walls will make a much bigger difference to your sound than whether or what type of carpet you have. One possible exception to this: The summits have a downward firing woofer, and if whatever is below them (hardwood or even those granite slabs you mention) is not well-braced, heavy, and/or rock solid, you could get vibrational resonances that will deteriorate your sound. Carpet may or may not help with that. Just something to consider.

Hi bonzo,

You may want to look at my system pictures for some ideas.

I have a similar type room.

Note acoustic panel placement. The shag "area" rug extends to the front of both chairs.

Gordon

Last edited:
Hi GG, does it make a diff whether the carpets go under or upto the speakers?

I notice you have pucks, isolation devices. DO these make a difference?

What is the significance of the clamp in the rack

What are RCA caps?

What is Furman Elite? Guess this is to protect the system from power spikes

Last edited:
RCA caps cover unused input/outputs from absorbing high frequency noise from other devices. Furman Elite is a company and product line. Google it and you can see their whole product line

Just read that you are supposed to short inputs, but leave outputs uncovered?

Back