New to Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhac85

Reaction score
Recently made an impulse buy of Martin Logan Montis speakers. My wife is a designer for RL, and we were at the bathroom/kitchen design shop next door. My wife saw the CLX in the window, and thought they would be perfect of a client of hers and spoke with the salesman. I sat down and listened the Montis in the other room, and was thrilled with them. My wife the designer, who always wanted the B and O Beo 5, said, I should get them. Unusual move for me, but did the research afterwards. Some of the posts on this site were not great for this speaker, so I thought I would reach out.
Current system.
TNT Aries with Dynavector Mark V tonearm. Dynavector XX cartridge
Spectral DMC 12 Preamp with phono.
Spectral DMA 150 Studio Amp
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and transport
PS Audio Power plant Premier
Spectral/MIT wires from DAC to Preamp and from Preamp to Amp
Spectral/MIT 770 speaker wire.
Audio Physic Avanti II. Circa 1998.
Room 12 by 30 feet. Drop ceiling. with system along short wall.

Basically I love the Audio Physics as evidenced on their longevity, but they originally were on a wood floor, with double joists that reinforced the bass Now on carpeted Slab floor up on brass fitters, and though the bass is there, not visceral. In the store, the Montis imaging was superb, and the bass at unity position was all I could ask for.

Did I make a mistake, as I can still cancel the order..
Thanks. Robert

This is a large room. How high is the ceiling? What do you listen to?

Tuning the room is very important as well as critical placement of your Montis.
After you talk to some experts about acoustic treatments you might well consider a sub or two for the very low end.
I have used 2 jl 112 sub woofers to great effect with my Montis.

I also use an integra 80.2 which has audyssey xt 32 which helps handle the speakers and room well.

My system has more than enough bass for my taste but we do not listen loud. Jazz, opera, quartets, blues are our taste.

We also use our room for movies and sports on our Kuro 151.

The Montis is a great speaker but does require proper attention to detail . It is not for parties but rather best one or two people listening in a prime listening position .

The recent stereophile review makes a good read if you have not yet seen it.

The link is in this forum.
J

Last edited:
great speaker, with time and set up tweeks along with what jm mentioned on room acoustics you'll soon forget your audio physics ! sit back and enjoy !!

If they are out-of-the-box new, then understand that it will take a few hundred hours or so of play before the woofers break in and the bass sounds right.

Thanks for the input. Hoping the speakers will be in midweek. Will have to work on the acoustics some. From what I heard of the speaker in the showroom they had plenty of bass for me.

Speakers arrived today. Plugged them in and left the burn in disk on replay. Went off to a demo event for the Vandersteen 7 as a courtesy to the only real high end dealer here in Atlanta. A little of topic, but the Vandersteen 7's were being driven by Aesthetix tube gear, mono block amps, and an oracle turntable. The most realistic playback of instruments I have ever encountered. At 48,000 entry for the Vandersteens, the price of entry is already to high. Back in my listening room, gave my new speakers their first listen. Basically in the same position as my AP's were.
Excellent imaging like my AP's, but the room was energized. As to the bass, my AP's were neutral in this matter, but I was totally satisfied with the low end out of the box. Pulled out an old audtion CD, Clannad themes. Irish folk/electronic fusion. Ri Na Cruinne is a track with deep bass drums alternating with vocal hamonies. Bass attack was crisp, not bloated. I can't see a need for a sub here. Very please.

Back