Need some room treatment help for my awkward room layout

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar04

Reaction score
I've drawn up a rough diagram as close to being scale as possible, sorry if it's a little hard to read but I think you'll be able to see the weird zig-zagged wall I'm trying to deal with that has my equipment on it. Any ideas you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated! (REL T2 is pictured but Depth i is on order and will be going in that same spot)

RoomLayout_0001.jpg

56b609a5.jpg

f25efe0d.jpg

0d66f083.jpg

bfe9c4ca.jpg

By what I see you are going to have reinforcement on your right channel but the sub in that little alcove on the left will make the sub act like a horn for the bottom octaves. with a lot of open air on the left ch.stat. To be honest looks like a tuff room to deal with cause it has almost no symmetry. Can you flop to another wall? I am curious as to what other members will respond about this room. Take care

I can't see what's on the right side of the couch but if it's a corner flopping the wall will be your best bet to avoid any freaky imbalances.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't flip the room because the chaise lounge part of the sofa would block about half of the archway that leads to the kitchen. I may be able to move my FL/FR speakers out a little wider (which would push my FR closer to that slanted wall) and bring the depth forward out of that pocket and in between my stand and my FL channel. Or possibly to the right of the FR speaker? Here's the other rear corner of the rom. My couch was in a huge room before and had a "U" shape, but I had to take the corner piece out and make one massive 14' long couch due to my new apartment (I'll only be here about a year I hope)

62a75876.jpg

Last edited:
If I pull the speakers out too much farther they'll get within a few feet of the coffee table and the main walk way through the living room to the kitchen, which the wife may not be too fond of. Once I get the sub in person I'll see if I can find a way to squeeze it back there but I'm not sure there will be enough room. I'm hoping I may be able to use that pocket of space that the sub is currently in and maybe do some accoustic treatments to compensate for it being in a pocket like that.

Honestly, I would look for another room that is a bit more symmetrical in your house. This room is not workable IMHO.. Also the listening position way at the back wall is a huge no no. Sorry.

If I pull the speakers out too much farther they'll get within a few feet of the coffee table and the main walk way through the living room to the kitchen, which the wife may not be too fond of. Once I get the sub in person I'll see if I can find a way to squeeze it back there but I'm not sure there will be enough room. I'm hoping I may be able to use that pocket of space that the sub is currently in and maybe do some accoustic treatments to compensate for it being in a pocket like that.

How about putting the Chaise in another room and then flop the room
The speaker near the stairwell will have infinate rear wave time while the R Ch. will sound normal
Your goin to spatial and freq abnormalties all over the place.
Try to keep at least 2 1/2 ft behind your head also and softin that rear wall

Unfortunately in a 950 sq foot apartment this is the only option for my current furniture and equipment, this place is temporary until my wife gets her more permanent location assigned to her at work next year. The only other rooms I have are the master bedroom and a guest bedroom that is only 12x13 and is my wife's office/ closet. In my area rent is ungodly expensive so even this tiny 2 bed/ 2.5 bath apartment is almost $1800 a month! I may just end up doing a basic bass trap behind the sub in the corner to deaden some of the boom it's going to create and maybe do and absorbent panel behind the Fl/FR speaker on the angled walls to keep the sound from reflecting like crazy at awkward angles.

You could get stands for some panels behind the stats. Like these ones from Real Traps (I'm sure you could use something less expensive)

http://www.realtraps.com/p_stand.htm

You need to treat that back wall behind you though.

Watch this video for some ideas.

Next year is very close. Dont do anythin & just sweat it.
Once you determine what traps for the freqs. You need it will cost you& may not need it after the move.
16in traps you may need more are very pricey & may suck out the new place.

Back