Need help with amp and pre amp for Spires

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigspeakerguy

Reaction score
Hi I just purchased a pair of custom Martin Logan spires with the Motif center channel.
My issue is that my sales guys got me all excited to get the Mcintosh Mc402 to power my speakers . So I've went around listening to them everywhere and absolutely fell in love with the amazing sound. When I finally went in to buy a Mc402 after listening and hearing the awesomeness from the amp and the speakers my sales guys throws a bomb on me and after making me get all excited for that amp, now tells me that the amp wouldn't work because I'm trying run a separate amp and processor and that the Mc402 will not work with all 3 of my speakers . I'm looking to use the speakes for music and home theater. So please if any one has any suggestions that would he great.

guess it depends on the amount of $$$ you want to spend... how picky you are about 2 channel listening vs HT....amount of HT vs 2 channel etc....

You could try to look at 5/7 channnel amps / multiple amps / 2 channel pre with a HT pass-thru / or a processor that has a decent analog stage for 2 channel listening....

So - throw those things out there - as well as what you liked about the mc402 and that will help others answer your question...

Hi I just purchased a pair of custom Martin Logan spires with the Motif center channel.
My issue is that my sales guys got me all excited to get the Mcintosh Mc402 to power my speakers . So I've went around listening to them everywhere and absolutely fell in love with the amazing sound. When I finally went in to buy a Mc402 after listening and hearing the awesomeness from the amp and the speakers my sales guys throws a bomb on me and after making me get all excited for that amp, now tells me that the amp wouldn't work because I'm trying run a separate amp and processor and that the Mc402 will not work with all 3 of my speakers . I'm looking to use the speakes for music and home theater. So please if any one has any suggestions that would he great.

The McIntosh MC303 will do. You might be able to find them on Audiogon for about $6500 if you are lucky. More than enough power for the Spires. The MC303 is a newer design. I was told it might even be better. Designed for front rt./lft./center. Some have used the MC402 for the surrounds. I use the MC402 for my rt. and left front CLX's, and the MC205 for my Stage center, Motif surrounds, and 2 out door speakers. Good luck finding the amp that will work best for you. Retail the MC303 is around $10,000.

Last edited:
If your heart is set on the 402, consider a 501 for the center. I'll second what Ron said. The 303 would be more than adequate for the front stage. My preference would be 3 501's across the front:devil:

Gordon

Back