Need an SACD player before early June

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I got the DV-50s and tuesday is the day. I cannot wait!!! Why must we wait? This would have been a good weekend to tweek the system.

Last edited:
I have many SACD but no SACD player. I’m looking to move into the world of SACD players. I’m looking at the following.

I can only spend about $1,500.00 and used is not an issue. Any other players I should consider?

Thanks for any advise.

Cherian

I have owned many and this one is super bargain if you can find it.
http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsandrecommendations/fr/PioneerPDD6J.htm

Also the Pioneer DV-79AVi is hands down one of the best universal players around under 1K , Built like a tank. (multi Channel)

The Marantz SA-8260 is nice also but can be bright in some systems

Today I played SACDs on my system for the first time. WOW, the detail is astonishing. It truly is a new level. I have been listening to the Esoteric DV-50s for about 5 hours now and again I’m having a revelation. This is the most detailed player I have ever owned. I went from a $500.00 CEC to a $2000.00 Shanling and now a $6,000.00 universal disk player (all prices new):D. Not that I paid new prices on any of them.

I was a bit worried about the synergy between the CJ gear and the Esoteric but those fears have pushed aside by the music. The CJ Esoteric combination is just astonishing. The music is crisp with a nice snap. No fuzz no grain just fine detail. I’m grinning from ear to ear. When one make a good jump forward towards audio nirvana it is a beautiful feeling.

Attachments

• DSC02132.JPG
    DSC02132.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC02135.JPG
    DSC02135.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC02136.JPG
    DSC02136.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 178
Just 2 channel. I only use multi channel for HT for that I use my small ML system. I wanted a player that I can use for growth later.

Good stuff, Cher!! :D:D

Glad to hear the CJ - Esoteric combo is working out pretty good for you!

Today I played SACDs on my system for the first time. WOW, the detail is astonishing. It truly is a new level. I have been listening to the Esoteric DV-50s for about 5 hours now and again I’m having a revelation. This is the most detailed player I have ever owned. I went from a $500.00 CEC to a $2000.00 Shanling and now a $6,000.00 universal disk player (all prices new):D. Not that I paid new prices on any of them.

I was a bit worried about the synergy between the CJ gear and the Esoteric but those fears have pushed aside by the music. The CJ Esoteric combination is just astonishing. The music is crisp with a nice snap. No fuzz no grain just fine detail. I’m grinning from ear to ear. When one make a good jump forward towards audio nirvana it is a beautiful feeling.

wow!! congrats!! I hate it when you guys put pics of the esoterics in here!!! :bowdown: So, Cherian - can you comment on a couple of things on the Esoteric... Everyone refers to it as detailed - so I get that... What about bottom end? and how about cd playback?

Has anybody compared the balanced outs vs the rcas?? thx. tim

gonna buy all the blue notes on SACD instead of LP then?

I am!

All the dead can dance records are coming out next week
on SACD too..

Nice addition Cherian. I was able to hear George's (Rampage) Esoteric player a couple of weeks ago. It was wonderful. When I upgraded to a very good CDP it was surprising how much was missing from by previous player.
I am sure you will be very happy with it in your system.

Congrats, Cherian. That is a beautiful piece of machinery. I have my heart set on an Esoteric or Wadia someday when I decide to upgrade from the Marantz.

I got this SACD player so I can listen to the DCD SACDs. Thus my title “Need an SACD player before early June” I have all 9 DCD CDs on pre order.

I can not comment on redbook playback yet. I will do some listening this weekend and report back.

Ok I have been listening to the Esoteric DV-50s for a few days now and I love this player more than ever. This is what I have found out about it so far.

1) The DV-50s plays red book CD’s very, very well. The bass is tight and deep the mids and highs are all up to par for a player of this caliber. This player is brutally reveling and will expose poor recordings. I need to play more with the up-sampler function.
2) SACDs sound amazing. I did an A-B between the Patricia Barber’s Café Blue HDCD and SACD and the SACD is the hands down winner by a large margin.
3) Now I’m so hungry for more SACD’s. I can see now that I will be spending a few $$$ on them. (Any good ones I should pick up?)
4) The build quality is superb. The tray ejects smoothly silently. Speaking about silent you never know the DV-50s on and spinning it is that quiet.

This player is a true engineering marverl.

Last edited:
3) Now I’m so hungry for more SACD’s. I can see now that I will be spending a few $$$ on them. (Any good ones I should pick up?)

The Worlds Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings(Chesky Records)
Mark Knopfler ~ Shangri-La
Steely Dan ~ Gaucho ~ Great 5.1 mix
Ray Charles & Count Basie ~ Ray Sings Basie Swings
Dire Straits ~ Brothers In Arms 20th Anniversary Edtion
Roxy Music ~ Avalon ~ Another Great 5.1 mix
John Mayer ~ Romm For Squares

Good morning Cherian, Looks like you and Joey have both scored a couple of very nice finds !

Congrats !

To add to the other list here are SACD and some Redbook. Not knowing your listening preferences you may not like some of the choices music wise:

Audiophile Vocal Recordings - Chesky (Redbook)
Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster - MoFi (Redbook)
Art Pepper + Eleven (SACD)
Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus (SACD)
Live at Blues Alley - Eva Cassidy (Redbook)
The E.S.E. Sessions - Blue Coast Collection (SACD)
Flim & the BB's - Tricycle (SACD - DMP))
Steven Davis - Quality of Sound (SACD -DMP)
Yellow Jackets - Altered State (SACD)
Milt Jackson - Invitiation (SACD - MoFi)
Mark Knopfler - Shangrai-La (SACD)
Amanda McBroom - Live from Rainbow and Stars (Redbook)
Diana Krall - Love Scenes (SACD)
Tierney Sutton - Dancing in the Dark (SACD - Telarc)

For Classical - all on SACD with all listened to in MCH

Britten/Elgar - Paavo Jarvi - Telarc
RCA Living Stereo - Sherherazade
RCA Living Stereo - Pictures at an Exhibition (also MoFi version)
Mozart Violin Concertos 3 & 4 - Julia Fisher (Pentatone Label)
Mozart Youth Symphonies - 3 & 4 - Pentatone
Boston Symphony Chamber - Mozart Chamber Music for Winds and Strings
Haydn - The Fry Street Quartet - ISO-Mike Recording by Ray Kimber
Joe McQueen - 10 at 86 (SACD) - ISO-Mike

(all ISO Mike recordings are amazing quality, you just have to like the music too)

Back