Need Advice on Listening/AV Room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDSPHOTO

Reaction score
I have historically had a separate listening room and video room,but the wife and I are downsizing and want to combine the two. I already have the TV, but need advice mostly on the amplification & processing.

Here's what I have to start with:

15'x30' room
Sony 55" TV
JVC DVD
JVC VCR
Krell CD Player
VPI Turntable
ML Sequel IIs- Going to make these the rear surround speakers

Want to add:

Blu-Ray Player
ML Summits up front
ML Descent
ML Stage

Need advice on something to drive this monster. For simplicity's sake a receiver would be preferred, but I have no issue going to a multi-channel amp/preamp/processor combo.

I would like to be able switch between 2 channel for music and 5 channel for video. Also need something with a phono stage for the VPI.

Let the suggestions & recommendations begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need advice on something to drive this monster. For simplicity's sake a receiver would be preferred, but I have no issue going to a multi-channel amp/preamp/processor combo.

I would like to be able switch between 2 channel for music and 5 channel for video. Also need something with a phono stage for the VPI.

HI MDSPhoto

I for a system of that caliber and that size room, I’d suggest the following:

The new Denon AVP-A1HD – This is indeed reference grade stuff, as I just moved from Meridian front ends to this and enjoy the results.

Couple that with any of the following amps and you should have a very easy to use, yet extremely powerful system.

Best amps:
Sanders ESL stereo X 3 (will have one ch. Left over, but it’s probably cheapest this way)

Very good amp:
Sunfire TGA-5400 (5ch x 400, perfect match for ML’s).

As for BluRay, I’d recommend the Panasonic BD50, link it up with HDMI and enjoy bitstreamed Dolby TruHD through the AVP-A1HD. It’s awesome.

For audio media, I recommend selling the Krell and getting a Denon DVD-2930 (no need for anything better) as it has DenonLink3 which allows ALL audio from your DVD, CD, SACD and DVD-Audio to go to the preamp with synched clocks (no jitter) and full digital resolution right up until the fully balanced super high-quality DACs in the AVP.
No other Processor / player combo that I’m aware of can offer that. Not even the vaunted Meridian 861/800 combo that I lusted after for years.

Sequels make excellent rear speakers. They are tall and throw a great image for rear fill. Although in a room 30’ long, you might want to add some side fill speakers as well (mounted high on the side walls). The AVP fully supports that 7.1 config (which is what I use).

The streaming media options of the AVP make it the truly desirable piece, as I find the quality of .WAV playback over the network within the preamp to be superior to anything I’ve ever heard for 16/44 (CD) content. Convininece is outstanding.

The AVP is also very well supported by a group of fans who even started a Wiki to support this outstanding piece.

Last edited:
I have historically had a separate listening room and video room,but the wife and I are downsizing and want to combine the two. I already have the TV, but need advice mostly on the amplification & processing.

Blu-Ray Player
ML Summits up front
ML Descent
ML Stage

Definately go the separates route, and because the phono stages of many amps these days are somewhat wanting, get a separate phono stage.

For a pre, the Integra 9.8 (soon to be the 9.9) is reasonably priced (less than $2K), although if budget permits, check out offerings from Denon, Anthem, and Lexicon. (For phono stages, $1000 will buy you a nice one, and the $6K Audio Research Phono 7 is very--as in state of the art--nice.)

For multichannel amps, the Parasounds seem to be very good, but there are many other great choices, depending on your budget.

Can't comment on the multichannel stuff, but we've been reviewing a ton of phono stages in the thousand dollar range lately..

The Lehman Black Cube SE has really been the leader in the pack so far. It's solid state, super compact and fantastic sound!

www.immediasound.com

This one gets my highest recommendation....

It will work but does it sound good...?

I've found two channel is not compatible with quality home theater.

1. The physical positioning of the speakers is slightly different between HT and 2 channel

2. The subwoofer setting, bass management and positioning are completely different esp. if one has a turntable.

3. The extra equipment you need to have in a home theater tends to electrically polute your power which can leave your 2 channel a bit nasty sounding.

I give this advice since I've been where you are and combining the two worlds tends to be very expensive and sonicly compromized. Its a bit like a guy who wants a sports car and an SUV and ends up with a hugely expensive custom made AMG mercedes G63... Fun, impresses the neighbors, but is it good at anything?

Best quote of the day..."Its a bit like a guy who wants a sports car and an SUV and ends up with a hugely expensive custom made AMG mercedes G63... Fun, impresses the neighbors, but is it good at anything?"

I've found two channel is not compatible with quality home theater.

1. The physical positioning of the speakers is slightly different between HT and 2 channel

2. The subwoofer setting, bass management and positioning are completely different esp. if one has a turntable.

3. The extra equipment you need to have in a home theater tends to electrically polute your power which can leave your 2 channel a bit nasty sounding.

I give this advice since I've been where you are and combining the two worlds tends to be very expensive and sonicly compromized. Its a bit like a guy who wants a sports car and an SUV and ends up with a hugely expensive custom made AMG mercedes G63... Fun, impresses the neighbors, but is it good at anything?

I respectfully disagree. Granted, a dedicated listening room would be ideal for two channel, but not always feasible in the real world. With proper components and setup, it is possible to have a decent combo A/V system. Room acoustics play a significant role, and ought to be addressed first, not as an afterthought (like I, and many others, have learnt the hard way)! Ideally, a front projection setup with drop-down screen would have the least acoustic impact for two-channel, but you can also get by with a wall mounted flat screen HDTV, as long as the speakers can be placed significantly out from the plane of the TV. If you position the front speakers optimally for two-channel, the others will fall into place for HT. The center channel is critical, and the Stage will carry it's weight. You can use your Summits alone for two-channel, and dial in your sub (Descent, or other) for HT use. My (ancient) NHT Sub Two actually has dual settings, one for music, another for HT, but frankly, with the Summits, I don't ever use it for music. As for "polluted power" it's very easy to electrically isolate your A/V components. You could even have separate dedicated 20 amp lines if desired. You also have a variety of power conditioner options, if need be. I'm sure others who've successfully implemented a combo A/V setup will chime in with support.

Okay, here is .02 that you don't have to pay for. First, to drive the system go with Sunfire 5400 or 7400 or newer 5401 or 7401. The 5400 can be purchased new with warranty for about 2500. I just researched everything out there and this amp gives you just about the best bang for your buck and works with your MLs really well, lots of quiet power and runs cool too. As for a receiver/pre-pro or pre-amp. It kind of depends how much you like music. Although it is killer in 2 channel, if you really like multi-channel music then go with a McCormack MAP-1 and a UDP-1 Deluxe universal player. This will allow you to 'experience' music on your ML system. I am neither exaggerating nor kidding when I say McCormack MAP-1 with ARM will turn your CD collection or vinyl collection into something that will blow your mind ever time you listen to it. Then get either a DVDO iScan VP50 Pro ($2K) or if you can wait a little while get the new announced DVDO Edge $800, it does just about everything the VP50 Pro does. This will act as your hdmi 1.3 AV hub and allow you to upscale and mosquito everything out there for video. And finally there are at least a half dozen HDMI 1.3 receivers out there with all the codecs built in and they run less than 600 bucks, remember you already have the power in the 5400 or 7400 so you just need the pre-pro ability of the AVR, Sony, Onyko, Denon, all have nice units. The AVR is optional at this point because you got the Edge AV hub and you can run your sources direct or not. Get a PS3 for immediate Blu-Ray player, but when the Sony BPD 550 or Pioneer 51FD comes out in the next couple of months, these BD players will have features never before available that will make your video and sound rock your world. Then you will have to look at getting one of the new front projectors and a high gain screen so you can go with a 120 inch 7.2 fully immersive Martin Logan theater and music experience. But by then, you will be lucky to still be married or dating or whatever, because most likely someone will try to have you committed for mental music instability....but then that's what happened to me, your mileage may vary. :music:

Back