Music too loud ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'know... I'm really tempted to hoist the BS flag on those that claim to listen at levels under 90 dB.

Your argument assumes that everyone listens to the same type of music as you, has a similar-sounding room, and enjoys their music at the same loudness levels as you. I know I listen to all kinds of music from classic rock to classical and jazz, and some of it I listen to louder than others. But I know from measuring that my average listening level is under 90 db.

As I stated in my post above, with all the room treatments I have, the measured db. levels are naturally lower at a given output volume (due to reduced reinforcement from reflections) and the clarity is much higher even at lower volume levels. So you don't have to turn it up so loud for it to sound great. Although I generally like to listen fairly loud, I find that my music can sound awesome even at a very low volume levels.

If you are having to listen into the high 90's to find your music enjoyable, I highly recommend you invest in some acoustic treatments for your listening room. Your ears will thank me later.

Rich,

That very idea has occurred to me of recent. Please recommend some affordable 4x4 sheets with high WAF that I can purchase tomorrow...

In the early 90's, I met Gayle Sanders at our dealership in Hawaii. He was ****ed to high hell that we had deadened our Martin Logan room ( a 12x16 area, roughly) with wall treatments. He was ADAMANT that Logans sounded better in live rooms. We removed the wall treatments, and explaned to all listeners that Gayle himself had advised this course of action. Sales went up.

But I am now in my 40's....and willing to re-visit the issue.

So cough up the recommendeations !!! :rocker:

~VDR

And when I spent my time with customers showing off systems, I tried to stay cool and not "blast" the system in their faces...but was asked to turn it up almost 100% of the time.
Yes, but when you are evaluating a new system you always tend to listen at a level louder than you would normally do.

Funny acedote: a woman in a hi-fi store, watching guys listening/evaluating a new system, asks, "Are they not enjoying themselves? They all look so serious!".

might be helpful to take a peek at the ohsa website....

They do have some noise level guidelines that will help you
determine if you are listening too loud to cause ear damage.

Please recommend some affordable 4x4 sheets with high WAF that I can purchase tomorrow...

I use and highly recommend: Real Traps

You may also want to consider products from these other vendors:

GIK Acoustics

RPG Diffusor Systems

Acoustic Sciences Corporation

With all due respect to Gayle, I think he was flat out wrong. I agree that the room doesn't need to be made too dead, but proper acoustic treatment to minimize reflections and ringing will go a long way toward making your speakers sound the best they possibly can. I know my Summits sound much better with my acoustic treatment than they did before I put it in. Unless you have a really large room that is acoustically favorable, I expect absorption will help tremendously with clarity, imaging and soundstaging.

FWIW,

The more articulate your system becomes, the lower the volume level required to enjoy the music. My average listening level has dropped by 8db or more over the last couple of years due to the upgrades I've made in my system. I rarely top 90db now on the loud passages.

I also agree with Rich that having a room that is properly treated, to minimize the room effect on the sound, is key to "connecting to the music" without the need for excessive volume.

My sense is that people "crank it up" because they are unable to hear the fine detail and nuances in the music because the system cannot reproduce that level of musicality at a lower volume.

IMHO, listening much above 95db for an extended length of time (2 hours plus) will eventually cause hearing damage. And if your ears are ringing after listening to your system, that is a clear indication that the db level is excessive.

GG

Hola Chicos...here in Costa Rica is very easy to go to a concert hall. I took once my ivy pressure level meter and from the center third road at the center of the stage, the loudest part of the music from Beethoven 5th Simphony, my measure was 93 dBs!!! and the lowest was around 73 dBs (A-weighted scale). Moderated level is good for your ears, and besides, when listening at low level, your ears fatigue is less, and you can spend more time with music. My system can play loud and sometimes for showing off I play it that way, but only just a few seconds, I can not stand the music too loud. This is my liking and not necessary yours...happy listening,
Roberto

Back