Motions and Receiver purchased, what else?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipkassidy

Reaction score
Looks like I'm new to the MartinLogan Club. I decided now was the time to upgrade the home theater setup so I went all out.

HT Receiver: Yamaha RX-V667
Fronts: Motion 12s
Center: Motion 8
Subwoofer: Dynamo 700

Now then, I need recommendations as far as speaker wire, banana plugs and anything else I might need in the not to distant future.

For wire and plugs I was thinking a place like Monoprice, but I'm up for suggestions.

I'll second Larrys (repman) suggestion for signal cable as I'm using that as well, with that being said I've heard good things relative bluejeans cable also as for the anticables Todd talks about I'm using a DIY version for my phono leads (basically 'magnet wire').

I'll second Larrys (repman) suggestion for signal cable as I'm using that as well, with that being said I've heard good things relative bluejeans cable also as for the anticables Todd talks about I'm using a DIY version for my phono leads (basically 'magnet wire').

The relatively unique upshot about the anticables is that they employ an extremely thin insulator - less interaction with the electrical signal - better transparency. They are also solid core (so stiffer than typical cables, but still completely workable) - some folks believe the solid core approach is an improvement over stranded as it eliminates the inter-strand electron flow which can theoretically degrade the signal... I stress "theoretically". In practice, not so sure there's a big difference. Having said that, I had fantastic results when using them to drive a pair of Maggies.

Or... just use coat hangers ;) http://consumerist.com/2008/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables.html

Okay, so know that I have some options as far as speaker wire goes, does anyone think I need to get an additional amp or is the Yamaha powerful enough to power the fronts and center? Also, to go with the Subwoofer, I went ahead and picked up the wireless Transmitter.

Now then, I need recommendations as far as speaker wire, banana plugs and anything else I might need in the not to distant future.

For wire and plugs I was thinking a place like Monoprice, but I'm up for suggestions.

I don't know why I overlooked this initially but yes by all mens you would be fine using the offerings of Monoprice.

I came across some bad reviews about monoprice when I was about to purchase wires. Really cant remember what website or the reason for the bad review. I think it was something about being cheaply made. Again not sure

I came across some bad reviews about monoprice I think it was something about being cheaply made. Again not sure

given the fact that they sell a 'ton' of stuff it could have been anything, as for the Op's basic need of fundemental cabling I can't imagine their offerings to be that bad........30' of 12awg OFC speaker cable is only going to set one back 12 bucks and change.

Back