Motion series setup help please.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday

Reaction score
In my current theater room I have:

2 motion 12s for fronts
2 motion 10s for sides
2 motion 10s for rears
1 motion c center
2 dynamo 500 subs.

This is all being powered with a onkyo 819 avr.

Problem is dialogue from the center sounds like it's lacking and at high volumes distorts. First I had it mounted under my screen but then I built a stand and moved it forward. It is not boxed in or anything. Any suggestions on what I could do. Recommend a external amp for my front 3 or just for my center?

I was also thinking about maybe picking up anther motion 12 and laying it horizontal across my stage. It almost sounds like the motion c speakers just ain't up to par with the rest of the system . Then again maybe it's that I do not have enough to power it.

Regardless, that is a lot of loudspeakers to run off a lone AVR. Unless the 819 (can't find it's specs) is a powerhouse, you may want to try powering the center channel with a stand alone amplifier, or set up a 3 channel amplifier powering your fronts and center. You'll need channel pre-outs on your AVR to make it work. Distortion is usually caused by lack of power; clipping, and is very harmful to the loudspeaker. Also, you may try removing some of the load (sides and rears) and see if the problem improves. If it does, then power is your problem.

Sorry that was a onkyo 818 avr. Hmmm any suggestions on Amps and wattage. I don't need anything to fancy

Demo in home before you buy, but something that produces 100 watts per channel should do it. It's very subjective. If you want value at the expense of sound quality (subjective), try a 3 channel Emotiva. If you don't like it, send it back. If you want something a little better, look to spend upwards of $1500.00, with no real ceiling. I run my 5.1 with a Yamaha RX-A1010 Aventage, but power my front channels (Vistas) with my integrated amp (through pre-outs). That can cause problems with timing, but I don't notice an issue. But seriously try disconnecting your fronts to see if the problem improves. It looks like your AVR is dividing up it's 270 watts into a lot of loads.

Ok my next day off I will disconnect all but the front 3 and see what it sounds like and report back thanks for the help.

Back