ML and Musical Fidelity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJRapp

Reaction score
We'll be moving soon into our new home which will have a dedicated theater so my Summits will now assume the role of providing 2 channel music only in the living room. I need to provide them with adaquite power so they can sing in the 22' x 20' x 10' room. My listening tastes are mostly jazz and classical.

I've been looking at the Musical Fidelity A5 to assume this task. I would really prefer the KW500, but I don't think finances can afford the extra $2K at this time. I would like everbody's thoughts, or suggestions of alternatives.

I have heard the KW500 power my Summit, DrJ. I think that it was a solid performer.... good imaging and good texture overall.

Joey

When I auditioned Ascent Is (before buying them) the store was using MF A5 gear as their source. I don't remember if it was the A5 amp or A5 integrated though. Given the powered bass on Summits, I would think that either unit would do well, they quote them down to a 2 ohm load.

I've been watching Audiogon for awhile, and the used prices on A5s are pretty good, if you don't fret about new gear warranties.

If you like the sound, go for it. MF is top gear, however you may like the sound of other equipment more, so make sure you listen to a range of options. Try to go for a pre-power combo if you can to give you more flexability in the future.

If you remember a few months ago, I was just about to pull the trigger on a KW500 for my Summits... but flexibility of separates pushed me to the Cary/Plinius combo and I dont think I made a mistake.

Just FYI... with the KW500, you're kinda stuck.

Joey

A good used A5 will run around $1700 on A'gon and I don't think I could duplicate the power and quality in separates for anywhere near that price. Decent ICs to connect a pre to an amp could cost half of that.

Also, I'm trying to create a real simple system with limited wiring and operational complexity, just my Shanling CDT100, Michelle TechnoDec, an integrated and The Summits, so I think I'll leave the rigamorall of the separates to my theater system in it's dedicated room.

Last edited:
A good used A5 will run around $1700 on A'gon and I don't think I could duplicate the power and quality in separates for anywhere near that price. Decent ICs to connect a pre to an amp could cost half of that.

Also, I'm trying to create a real simple system with limited wiring and operational complexity, just my Shanling CDT100, Michelle TechnoDec, an integrated and The Summits, so I think I'll leave the rigamorall of the separates to my theater system in it's dedicated room.

Well.. I will have you know that I heard the Summits at my dealer at Wi and he played them through an A5. I thought the A5 was good at what it did for the Summits.. good enough in fact that the audition I had with him was pretty much the reason why I bought the Summits in the first place.

If I could have the A5 in my possession right now and A/B it against my gear, I'd give you a longer response, but to trust my fleeting audio memory at this point being over 1 year removed is probably not the best thing to do.

Good luck Doc.... and I hope you get whatever is best for your system! Keep me informed... and pics too!

Joey

Just curious, what are you going to be using for mains in the new theater room?

I haven't really decided but I'm leaning strongly towards either Klipsch THX II or their new reference series. If I sell my Theater i I like the new Klipsch RC64 center a lot so it would seem reasonable to match that up. Exploring everything in the 3K per pair range right now. I've even considered a pair of Vistas matched up with my Theater i but I don't think they can provide the dynamics I am looking for.

That is what I thought you would say, i would like to go the same route, move my Klipsch reference system into a theater room and have an ML 2 channel system in the living room, I would either go with the MF A5 or the Krell Kav400xi, good luck.

As it turns out, the current deal available on the Mosaics is just too hard to refuse, so I bought a pair for my theater. I'll see how they sound with the Theater i.

Latest posts

Back