Mind Blowing Vintage Gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
I bought a Scott 350 off ebay about 2 1/2 years ago. Threw all the tubes out and bought the best NOS tubes available for it. Cleaned all the tube sockets with Deoxit. Plugged it in and fired it up. Almost fell over in disbelief! It just sounded INCREDIBLE - free, easy, relaxed, full-bodied, spacious, melifluous and very detailed in a totally unfatiging manner.

Remember, this was one of the first stereo multiplexing tuners ever made, around 1962-3.

Trouble was, it wasn't in great condition - the fascia was nice but a couple of the tube sockets were shot. The output level started fluctuating after a couple of months.

I went through a Musical Fidelity A5 - figuring the tube output stage would sound good. But it couldn't match the Scott for sound on FM or DAB. Then I bought a Sansui TU-9900 - technically much better, great sensitivity and reception, lovely looking piece... very good sound - but it just didn't have the GREAT sound of the Scott.

So here is the replacement - a near mint Scott, with flawless case. Lovely piece. This is a great American product, kids. You should be PROUD of it and it's sound mixes so well with my Ascents you would not believe it.

Anyone else been astounded by vintage gear? If so, what?

Attachments

• Scott350.jpg
    Scott350.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Here's the Sansui pic used for the ebay auction that saw it's demise... definately one of the better SS tuners ever made.

Attachments

• sansuitu9900.jpg
    sansuitu9900.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back