meeting other audiophiles?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
Since I have moved to NC I've always been really disappointed with the lack of passionate audiophiles. I was speaking with my Cryo person and mentioned it to him. He said check this out http://www.meetup.com/ Yes, there is a audiophile section.

He's a coin collector and he swears by it.

Has anyone else tried it? I'm always VERY cautious of stuff like this.

AudioCircle.com has some regional audiophile groups listed, as does Audiogon. Stereophile also has some listings (both online and print versions).

jtw,

Took a quick look on that site. All I found was some creepy lookin dude in Orlando... Yikes, maybe I typed in the wrong "phile" Gack!

Satch

jtw,

Took a quick look on that site. All I found was some creepy lookin dude in Orlando... Yikes, maybe I typed in the wrong "phile" Gack!

Satch

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I'd like to join something similar (There is the Queensland Audiophile Group) - but I can't help to think it is a hangout for people wantig to case houses with exensive audio gear in them.

Since I have moved to NC I've always been really disappointed with the lack of passionate audiophiles. I was speaking with my Cryo person and mentioned it to him. He said check this out http://www.meetup.com/ Yes, there is a audiophile section.

He's a coin collector and he swears by it.

Has anyone else tried it? I'm always VERY cautious of stuff like this.

Our local audio society recently migrated to Meetup, and I highly recommend it! In just four weeks, we've already gotten more new members than we did in the previous year! The key to keeping out any "riff-raff" is to designate it as PRIVATE, so personal information, system pics, etc. is NOT visible to the public, yet your group still gets publicized locally. You can then "screen" all prospective members to ensure they meet your criteria before granting membership. Meetup charges $12/mo if paid in advance, and has a paypal link option for member dues. All in all, it's quite easy to customize and configure.

I'd like to join something similar (There is the Queensland Audiophile Group) - but I can't help to think it is a hangout for people wantig to case houses with exensive audio gear in them.

It's pretty niche, Adam, and there are easier things to nick. Like a car. Also, most decent systems weigh a lot and aren't easy to man-handle. Another aspect is post count. You can tell someone is genuine if they have 2000+ posts. There are also other "vibes" you can pick up on to determine if someone is a safe bet.

It's pretty niche, Adam, and there are easier things to nick. Like a car. Also, most decent systems weigh a lot and aren't easy to man-handle. Another aspect is post count. You can tell someone is genuine if they have 2000+ posts. There are also other "vibes" you can pick up on to determine if someone is a safe bet.

Yes, but people with expensive audio equipment are also likely to have other, easier things to nick also.

And (due to the nature of it), you get to go into people's houses and inspect the goods, plan, security measures, etc.

[Potentially], not good. Exercise caution!

Back