• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Martin Logan Owners and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Martin Logan Esl 9 $3500 local pick in the NJ area

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

School

Reaction score
I have a very gently used pair of esl 9s I’m looking to sell to upgrade. Anyone know what they would fetch. I hav ethe boxes and manuals . Both are cherry in color with zero cosmetic flaws. I’m located in NJ

I have a very gently used pair of esl 9s I’m looking to sell to upgrade. Anyone know what they would fetch. I hav ethe boxes and manuals . Both are cherry in color with zero cosmetic flaws. I’m located in NJ
There's a guy on here looking to buy 9s or 11s. He hasn't said yet, but maybe he'd be interested in used. He has a new thread on here I've been watching. Oops, he's looking for 11s or 13s. Sorry.

Thank you what should I ask for these ?
Wish I knew. Youll have to research online to see what others are asking. You can see on here what people are/have asked. The guy selling his 15s had announced his price and its with shipping. That should give you a better idea. The age of the speaker of course is a big deal, since the panels do wear out with time.

I paid $3,100 for my very gently used pair, that was a bit under market but I got lucky. I’d ask $3,500 minimum.

Tmort is right on with the $3500 asking price. I have a pair of 9s that I’ve listed twice in the last 20 months at $3500, and I’d take $3000 and had zero interest in them either time on this site, US Audiomart, and Audiogon. Hopefully you’ll have much better luck

Tmort is right on with the $3500 asking price. I have a pair of 9s that I’ve listed twice in the last 20 months at $3500, and I’d take $3000 and had zero interest in them either time on this site, US Audiomart, and Audiogon. Hopefully you’ll have much better luck
How important do you think the age of the speaker is in pricing? Does it seem to not carry that much weight when selling? It should be very important, considering how panels wear out.

Well Robert up to about the 10 year point that price should stay pretty stable after that it should drop off a bit every 2-3 years. At the 20 year point you need to figure that you will need new panels if not when you buy them very soon after. When I bought my Odysseys they were just over 20 and they played but one panel was lower volume so I ordered new panels which worked out well as far as I was concerned. I paid $1800 for the Odysseys and 2k for the new panels so for $3800 I now have an EXCELLENT sounding pair of speakers. You aren’t touching anything that would come close to the performance of these Odysseys for that price

One thing I wonder about Robert is how much the panels degrade if the speakers are stored in a climate controlled environment as opposed to being used for say a period of 5-8 years, I have no idea how much of a difference if any that makes.

To cut a long story short:
I would recommend establishing a sale price that is a accurate reflection of the true condition of ELS 9 known to yourself and conforms with your product representations.

If you receive no offers to buy and some time has passed reduce your sale price. If you do not wish to reduce the price, then get the premium (above average) condition of loudspeaker certified. Advertisement may mention certification.

Long Story:
Speaker saw light usage, is in a condition proportional to normal aging, having zero defects and this condition communicated to but not verified by the buyer.

Sellers may demand premium above market price to compensate for light use and zero defects in loudspeaker. However, if the buyer is unable to verify the premium condition, then a problem arises.

Problem Buyer unwilling to pay premium. May pay a lower amount that reflects probable average use, zero defects and condition in line with normal aging.

Speakers in condition proportional to normal aging less heavy usage, having internal or external defects and condition communicated to but not verified by buyer.

If the seller values his conscience may sell at a discount below average market price to reflect internal or external defects. However, if the buyer is unable to verify the true condition, then a problem arises.

Problem depends on the extent the seller is unscrupulous and the extent the buyer is ill informed. If unethical seller quotes a price higher than the true value of the loudspeaker. Then seller beware applies if there is material misrepresentation of loudspeaker condition.

However, the seller has the option to quote any price provided he does not misrepresent the true condition of the loudspeaker.

Last edited:
Well Robert up to about the 10 year point that price should stay pretty stable after that it should drop off a bit every 2-3 years. At the 20 year point you need to figure that you will need new panels if not when you buy them very soon after. When I bought my Odysseys they were just over 20 and they played but one panel was lower volume so I ordered new panels which worked out well as far as I was concerned. I paid $1800 for the Odysseys and 2k for the new panels so for $3800 I now have an EXCELLENT sounding pair of speakers. You aren’t touching anything that would come close to the performance of these Odysseys for that price
Yeah, my new Prodigy panels were around $2000 and worrth every penny. I paid about $2000 for my speakers used and got some nice speaker cables too. The cables were probably more new than that. It was a good buy. I bought them at that price about 8 years ago.
So for the 1st ten years, the age of the panels doesn't really impact price. So speakers 2 years old would sell used for about the same as ones 8 years old?

Last edited:
One thing I wonder about Robert is how much the panels degrade if the speakers are stored in a climate controlled environment as opposed to being used for say a period of 5-8 years, I have no idea how much of a difference if any that makes.
Oh, you mean stored like new in the box and never used? I'd expect they'd be nearly flawless and like new. If covered in plastic in the box, it should be dust free. No current going through them.
Hopefully someone might have practical experience with that.

Yes I’d be interested to hear more insight on that as well. I have that pair of 9A speakers in a bedroom individually covered with new moving blankets so no dust or anything gets to them, they’ve been in there for about a year and a half now. I’m assuming that with no charge to them, climate controlled, there should be little to no degradation to the panels.

Have you searched eBay, Audiogon and USA Audio Mart? Those speakers must come up for sale occasionally. If you watch an item on eBay you can find out what it ultimately sold for. Also, the last I knew, Audiogon had some sort of membership arrangement where you could advertise for a certain period of time, and get access to an "audio blue book". Don't know how accurate the prices are, they looked a little high to me when I subscribed years ago. But if you're selling a big ticket item a subscription may be a good investment, even if you ultimately decide not to sell through them.

If I were in the market for them, though I'm not, NJ would be a doable trip for me. In person sales allow the buyer to judge the condition for himself, possibly even audition. Also, those are beasts to ship. Local pickup is always ideal, and no part of NJ is exactly in the boonies.

HiFiShark.com

Lists current and sold items...just plug in your search....

Works great.

There's a guy on here looking to buy 9s or 11s. He hasn't said yet, but maybe he'd be interested in used. He has a new thread on here I've been watching. Oops, he's looking for 11s or 13s. Sorry.
I have a pair of 11s in white. 3 years old. Perfect condition. Don't have the boxes but Martin Logan will sell them to me for shipping. I'm in Dallas, TX. Asking $7500

Back