Mac mini

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Just received my mac mini back from Ben at Mojo Audio. I sent it in for the audiophile treatment. New power filter, new trick external power supply, SSD and optimized software. I am running it through a Berkeley Audio alpha USB converter to my trusty and recently modded Sonic Frontiers DAC with EAT cool tubes. Much larger soundstage, more low level resolution. Using either Pure Music or Audirvana I am getting sound that rivals my Ayre C5Xe on CD and it is a lot more fun to use. Not sure yet whether improvement is due to the mods themselves or due to Audirvana, which is what Ben installed. I only have a few hours on this but the initial results are wicked good! Right now Van the Man is crooning to my wife and I may just have to slap him!

Not sure yet whether improvement is due to the mods themselves or due to Audirvana, which is what Ben installed.

Perhaps the software, but only if the computer was incorrectly configured beforehand. There is no way a power supply or cap filter can affect the bits coming out of a computer though, any more than it's affecting the quality of what you read on MLO.

Hola. I am using a Mac Mini too. My big change was when I installed a Bel Canto Reflink to convert the usb to coax, wow, the sound is as good as any cd played with my Bel Canto CD2 transport. Very happy with my Mac Mini. Also, I do recommend to have at least 8M of memory. Itunes works better and faster. I think that what you did to your computer was right. Quality is always a very good thing. Happy listening.

I'm sure part of it is Audirvana and part SSD due to reduced noise. I've been using Audirvana+ on my Mac Mini and MacBook Air. The MBA definitely sounds better through my system. Next move for me is to get a high capacity SSD for the Mac Mini.
Gotta love the MacMini as a music server. Enjoy!!

Back