Looking at Martin Logan Source's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesSpyder

Reaction score
Looking at the Martin Logan Source Speakers in Black, does anyone have them and what are your thoughts of them.

Looking maining for HT use

Haven't gone to check them out in person, but will do soon, do the Martin Logan speakers have to be vacuum regularly.

I will be using an Emotiva UPA-7 Amp and UMC-1 along with 2 Emo Ultra Subs

also what would you recommend for an Channel Channel

Thanks

I bought a upa 5 and tryed it with my martin logan source se and it sounded horrid with the pioneer elite as a pre

The Source speakers are awesome and can be had for around $1300 shipped on amazon. I have owned the source for 1 year and they blow me away

I would however wait 2 weeks and have a listen to the martin logan electromotion when they come out as they have a larger panel and better base and will cost around $200

I bought a upa 5 and tryed it with my martin logan source se and it sounded horrid with the pioneer elite as a pre

The Source speakers are awesome and can be had for around $1300 shipped on amazon. I have owned the source for 1 year and they blow me away

I would however wait 2 weeks and have a listen to the martin logan electromotion when they come out as they have a larger panel and better base and will cost around $200

Do you still have the UPA-5, so do you think the UPA-7 will not be a good match with ML Sources. How are they for Home Theater, and what do you have for a center channel. thanks

Do you still have the UPA-5, so do you think the UPA-7 will not be a good match with ML Sources. How are they for Home Theater, and what do you have for a center channel. thanks

I think the emotiva upa amps are too forward and hard sounding for martin logan speakers but thats only my experience with my pioneer elite as a preamp

You should buy a used b&k amp for the price of a upa7 or go for a xpa if you must buy emotiva

I love My tube amp running 4 ohms for the ML source as it opens them up and really slams out the bass but my main love is movies and HT audio via bluray

Martin logan source kiss ass hard for HT and I dont think you can do better. I have the matinee center channel and its very clear especially for listening at low levels from 15 ft away .

I love the ultra transparency you get for hearing every single lil sounds in movies . On the movie Bad Lieutenant with nic cage they interview a snitch in a holding cell.... I could hear the air in his throat and chest when he spoke and this was somthing I would never have experianced with normal cone speakers at this kinda price point

I am astounded by the speed of my ML source ,a classic example was on the movie kick ass when there is a guy running from a gang of thugs through the streets . As the guy runs the camera pans to him then the thugs back and forth and makes a loud swooshing sound lots of times .I felt this effect cutting through my listening space with a gust of wind it seemed like and was so clear and electrifying . I changed out my speakers to some polk and could not reproduce this effect

I will be buying the new martin logan electromotion for new front speakers and moving my source se to the back of the room to make my ultimate 5.1 surround system

Last edited:
Thanks, I want to go listen to a pair of the sources, I will check them out in the next couple of weeks. thanks again.

Thanks, I want to go listen to a pair of the sources, I will check them out in the next couple of weeks. thanks again.

You may want to hold out for the Electro Motions now that the Sources are discontinued. However, that may well save you some money on the Sources.

I own them, they're great for home theater, but you're going to have to bite the bullet if you want a matching center channel and pony up for the center Matinee center channel.

I just picked up my Matinee and boy does it really bring the home theater together with my sources. Too bad Emotiva's discontinuing the UPA5, UPA7, and XPA5.

You may want to hold out for the Electro Motions now that the Sources are discontinued. However, that may well save you some money on the Sources.

I own them, they're great for home theater, but you're going to have to bite the bullet if you want a matching center channel and pony up for the center Matinee center channel.

I just picked up my Matinee and boy does it really bring the home theater together with my sources. Too bad Emotiva's discontinuing the UPA5, UPA7, and XPA5.

Thanks maybe the sources will come down a little bit if they are going to be discontinued. Right now you can get them for under $1300 a pair, will wait as see what happens, do you have an Emotiva amp and if so how does it sound with the ML sources. thanks

I honestly believe they will go out of stock before they come down further in price. The two Magnolia locations near me (Only ML dealers within 3 hours drive... maybe 5 if the pass is snowed in.) Well, they're not only out of stock, but they've sold their floor models.

I picked mine up for $1500 just 3 months ago. (Just after Thanksgiving weekend.) I'd have had them match Onecall's pricing (They're the 3 hour away dealer.) but they gave me my choice between a Dynamo 500 or credit towards something better. In the end I paid $2600 total (Plus tax) for the Sources and Grotto i sub, which was less than what I could have gotten from Huppins (Onecall.com), and was able to deal with a local retailer instead.

I was all set to buy the UPA7 or XPA5 and a UMC-1 if the firmware on the Pre-Amp had finally been worked out. It hadn't, and my childhood best friend told me to call a dealer that owed him some favors. In the end I came home w/a SC-37 for $1450 with shipping from an authorized dealer. I had already heard the sources driven by the SC-27 (And Marantz 7005, and and and) so I already knew that it could drive the Sources. My hearing is already damaged enough, so I tend not to truly crank it.

I like the company, I like their approach. I just think the UMC-1 is probably a bit of a thorn in their side yet.

Last edited:
Just bought them myself.

Both of the dealers selling them on Amazon show single digit counts for the speakers.

The local BB Magnolia is also down to its floor models.

Accept the fact that these are great speakers at $1000 a piece and insanely great speakers at $670 a piece and buy them now before it's too late.

Thanks, they do sound like a steal, I should place my order before it is too late, the UMC just had the latest firmware release, still issues with it, a lot of upgrading the firmware issues, I had to upgrade 3 different times and got still 3 different results.

I wish I could listen to the ML might have to buy them without listen to them, if a lot of places are out of them, I will have to make some phone calls this weekend and see if someone has a set to listing to. Thanks everyone.

I just got my Source speakers yesterday. I had to buy them blindly since there was no place near me I could demo them. Luckily Audio Advisor isn't too far from where I live so I figured I'd take them up on the 30 day trial. It's day two and these babies aren't even broken in yet and they sound absolutely amazing. :eek: The sound stage is huge and 3D like, vocals are dead center. I bought an Encore TF to use as a center and I'm feeling like I could've just used phantom center on the receiver. If the recording is good, the sound will be good. :music:

Back