Listening Room Lighting

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
YouTube Lighting Video

OK, so you do't do drugs anymore. You probably never did. So that stuff the presidents and politicians confess to smoking but won't let you smoke... well, it's time to put that right with some good, clean, trippy fun of your own.

It does indeed produce a very pleasing effect in your listening room.

So just what the hell am I on about?

Well, I ordered four Auraglow lights with their remote controls.

Directions - place one behind each speaker, and one in front of each. Then set each into fade mode but out of sync with each other. Then watch as the shades slowly change and alter the vibe in your listening room.

They don't produce a massive amount of light, but with another lamp in the room at the other end of the room, they do produce enough if you run them without a shade.

They are cheap for what they are - compared to Phillips Living Colours they are a complete steal, and they are totally silent, unlike the Phillips effort. They are LEDs, not fluros.

The ones at the front are spotlights, the ones I have behind are the bayonnet type which disperse more widely. I'll wager they'll work well with MLs, too. Who needs Summit X lighting when you can get these for the lesser models?

Just brilliant. Really!

Auraglow Lights

You know I could have sworn I saw them on Amazon stateside, Todd, only last week. But yeah, looks like the same sort of thing.

I cheated and lifted a freely downloadable NIN track, as I completely overloaded the camera mic... then got a warning from YouTube for using NIN content! It is a free download... but they said I need take no action on my part. I wonder what that means...??? Time will tell I guess. I take it you guys will pay my bail???

Not nearly as impressive as the lighting from those AA 211SE monos.

Had some people round recently - here is the thoughts of one of them on those AAs...

"WRT krell KSA50 - I have owned this amp for a couple of years now and ran it on probably 20 pairs of speakers. Some speakers it really gels with - IMHO it works wonders on martin logans and helps to grab hold of the bass and it integrates better with the esl panel - it usually works very well on small speakers and manages to " produce an extra octave in the bass" in journalist speak or tighten up the normally resonant bass of small cabs or crap drivers (see martin logan). I normally run a valve pre which adds a touch of warmth and a lot of air & atmosphere to the system and hence previosuly have not noticed so much of a massive difference between a valve power amp and the Krell as Justin & I witnessed at the bake-off. For me the Krell and apogees (my caliper sigs or Justins duetta sigs) is not bad but easily bettered. The Krell seems to drive some form of resonance (or impedance drop?) in the apogee bass frequencies and makes them sound honky to me. The sound stage is also pretty small and without any real air which the apogees can really excel at.

I had the krell before I bought the apogees and I don't pair the two together - it does nothing for me. In Justins system and with the passive pre it sounded flat as a witches tit - easily better by my world audio WD88VA valve amp (although that could not really control heavy bass lines well at all). Justins 211 mono amps had the air and space of world audio amps (plus a bit more resolution) with bloody fantastic bass that is so tight and fast. I was really impressed with Justins speaker/amp match."

A friend of mine has two of these in a large listening room and the effect is very cool. Not inexpensive, though...

Yup! Seriously, it's a very cool toy. The entire room ceiling/walls covered with a sorta starfield with shimmering blue clouds.

Groovy!

Yup! Seriously, it's a very cool toy. The entire room ceiling/walls covered with a sorta starfield with shimmering blue clouds.

Groovy!

A friend of mine in the Netherlands (who has done extremely well for himself) has his own private disco at his house. Parties almost every weekend. I'll have to see if he's familiar with Bliss.

Some people say that CFL's create line noise. I also wanted my lights to be dim-able which are not possible with CFL's (they just start flickering and making noise). I have to admit that I never actually did double blind studies but I decided to go with standard lights just to be safe and put them on a separate circuit just to be sure.

90924_full.jpg

Back