IWalker Sub

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
IWalker Sub Review

Hello All,

I must say that I'm writing this in this section because it IS ML related IMO. First, let's start with the build quality and appearance. I thought walking up to it that it was something else that he bought. The only way to describe it is beautiful. It really is. It is this "little" rectangular cherry beauty. It has a silver cone on the woofer so that looks great IMO as well. I will cut to the chase now. Sound.... excellent. How do I mean? Well, Being fortunate enough to have been at Lincoln Center & Carnegie Hall as well as many other great venues in NYC I feel that I know what we are trying to reproduce. We tried a bunch of music. The bass is just there not boomy not in your chest just there. As it should be. It's similar to when you’re at a concert or concert hall and the big drum is struck and you hear it not necessarily feel it in your seat. Although sometimes you do on certain instances. This is how this sub is. I also think that the speed and accuracy is spot on, as electrostatics often demands. Now, the amazing part of this is that IWalker has a system that can contend with some of ours and it's at a fraction of the cost. He has it dialed in just so well. But this is about the sub and nothing else.... I sat there in awe that it (sub) could sound sooooo well being that he designed, built & tuned it completely himself. I got to see the construction because he built three of them and didn't put any electronics in the other two. The construction is top notch as I expected. The complete sub weighs a strong 90lbs. It is heavy!!! When the music is playing you can touch it and it has very little vibrations but yet the woofer is moving some air a lot of air actually. So when I left his house I asked if he would build me one.... he smiled and said really? I said, you bet! So, he is building me one to use with another system that I'm building. And yes it is going to be an electrostatic system. I can't wait.:D :D I give him a lot of credit on the execution and final product. The three that he did were done all at the same time and the quality is there with the best of them.

GREAT JOB IAN!!!:D

Last edited:
would love to hear more. I just purchased a def tech supercube reference - got it on close out for $1k, but they run around $1700 - similarly priced to the ML grotto, and I'm unhappy - boomy, overwhelms the electrostatics.

On paper - specs look great - it's a sub that goes down to 11hz, 2 passive drivers, 1 active, 1800w amp etc etc etc.

in practice, hooking it up - it's boomy and unpleasant and difficult to integrate.

I'm handy with electronics, power tools and cabinetry - happy to build one myself - there a spec anywhere?

Wow, thanks for the praise and the write-up Jason. Glad you enjoyed it so much...it just confirms my feelings on the sub. I really couldn't be happier with it...unless I had 2! (that's in the future)

would love to hear more. I just purchased a def tech supercube reference - got it on close out for $1k, but they run around $1700 - similarly priced to the ML grotto, and I'm unhappy - boomy, overwhelms the electrostatics.

On paper - specs look great - it's a sub that goes down to 11hz, 2 passive drivers, 1 active, 1800w amp etc etc etc.

in practice, hooking it up - it's boomy and unpleasant and difficult to integrate.

I'm handy with electronics, power tools and cabinetry - happy to build one myself - there a spec anywhere?

DefTech stuff is HIGHLY overrated. There is no way it goes down to 11HZ without unbelievable distortion...and it's probably down 15db at that point...I've heard their stuff before and it's always sounded terrible to me.

It's a kit from rythmikaudio.com. I went with kit #2 as it's a smaller box. If you want deep heavy HT bass, you're going to need to get 2, as the max output down low isn't huge...but that's because it goes SO low. If you have it roll off higher, it'll have more oomph. The servo prevents you from bottoming the driver, which is a very nice thing.

As jason mentioned, I'm going to build him one at some point. If there's more interest I'd consider doing it for others as well. It's certainly cheaper to build it yourself...but I know not everyone has that time or desire. Just a thought..

Take back the Def Tech and get the Grotto instead - it will be a great improvement.

Dan

Take back the Def Tech and get the Grotto instead - it will be a great improvement.

Dan

Certainly, though if you go with the rythmik kit, it's much closer to the depth or descent for the same price. (or cheaper if you build it, depending on how much you value your time)

Last edited:
Is this the kit - and did you go un-vented?

12" Kit Option 2:

Model: DS12CV-sealed kit/DS12CV-vented kit( one A370Servo amp and one DS12CV driver).

This is a perfect kit for those looking for "speed", "definition", and "articulation" in the bass frequencies and at the same time smaller enclosures. Please specify sealed box or vented box when ordering. This kit is based on our DS12CV drivers, which offers lower Q necessary for compact enclsoures. The trade-off is slightly lower output between 30hz-50hz. The stock version has a 12db/oct subwoofer low pass roll off. For setup with an HT receiver, this will be fine. However, if your system does not have outboard xover for subwoofer, the 24db/oct subwoofer low pass roll-off is better. So please also specify 12db/oct or 24db/oct version when ordering and add $20 to the latter.

Warranty: 2 yrs on amp and 3 yrs on driver. Warranty does not cover abuse.
Regular price: $509. Sale price $429. $15 discount for check or MO payment. Additional $20 per unit discount when ordering a pair. Shipping is $36 to 48 states (except TX which is $24). TX residents pay sales tax (8.25%). For international shipping, please check out the order page. Driver cone color is Silver only. Please check our driver page for the photos and description of DS12CV driver information. Add $20 for the 24db version.

another question Ian - does the interior box design matter? does it need internal reinforcements placed a particular way to not impact the audio?

That's the one. And yes, I went sealed, approx 1.4 ft^3 internal volume, with dual braces and double thick walls. For bracing, it's really up to you, but I tend to try to minimize the rear wave reflection (cut a big hole in the middle of the brace) and you're good to go. You also have to make sure it's far enough from the front and back so it doesn't get hit by the driver assembly or the amp. The most important thing is just to not seperate the internal volume into seperate compartments (in terms of pressure), because then you're dealing with a different internal volume, and that will affect your performance.

Back