I know I'm preaching to the choir, but...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Not too long ago I bought two GIK tri-traps and was very pleased with the results. For aesthetic reasons though I had to return them. I was not able to stand them up in the corners like I wanted since an outlet would be blocked in both corners...

For those facing a similar issue, GIK also sells their "Pillar Trap", which is 16" square, and might fit in corners where the Tri-Trap won't. Depending on height, it may not have the exact trapping capability of stacked Tri-Traps, but is a reasonable compromise, with great WAF! I bought a customized 3' version, and combined with my other acoustic treatments, have significantly tamed my room's bass.

ASC Tube Traps are another option. They come in multiple widths and heights, but are quite pricey.

Attachments

• PillarRack (Small).jpg
    PillarRack (Small).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 152
Um, careful, some of us wound up with >40 pieces, including some pretty large custom work ;)

It's a slippery slope, but a good one if you know what I mean :cool:

BTW- just to highlight how important in-room response is vs say some tweak in a source device, I found that after 8 years of chasing the 'ideal' ML setup (which I still have not achieved, and knowing me, might never do so), that the speaker to room to listener interface is where one should spend the most energy and money.

But sometimes, a tool comes along that blows one away. So even though I have a room custom designed for my speakers, loaded with acoustic treatments and an integrated IB sub, I experienced nearly the same amazement when I deployed Audyssey Pro room correction on top of everything I'd done so far.

Running in the awesome Denon AVP-A1HD (a truly ‘high-end’ pre, really, I came from Meridian, and this is better), and using the Audyssey Pro installer kit, I was able to tune the system for ideal frequency and time-domain performance. Supported by the excellent room acoustics, the system totally clicked into place.

Playing movies at near reference level is actually a pleasure and music on this system is like I’ve never heard before (including many other >100K systems, like a Meridian Digital Theater with DSP 8Ks).

So room acoustics + electronic room correction + features like DynamicEQ make for one astounding playback experience.

Thanks for all the advice Jonathan. I've read your posts on acoustical treatments and will go the front wall absorption route. When I'm done with all the treatments then, maybe sometime in the future, I'll try some electronic room correction. When I was at a friend's house, listening to his Watt Puppies, we put on "Way Down Deep" (Jennifer Warnes - "The Hunter"). This song has some extremely low and musical bass and we listened to it with and without his electronic correction and the difference was easily discernable.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice Jonathan. I've read your posts on acoustical treatments and will go the front wall absorption route.

Let us know how it goes... I'm thinking this is the next tweak in my system as well.

We should plan an Austin get together once you're installed

My plan is to invite Jonathan and his wife out to Austin so he can help with the tweaks/measures/custom hardware/customer speakers/customer wall treatments.... i could go on and on :rocker: :p

Let us know how it goes... I'm thinking this is the next tweak in my system as well.

My plan is to invite Jonathan and his wife out to Austin so he can help with the tweaks/measures/custom hardware/customer speakers/customer wall treatments.... i could go on and on :rocker: :p

That sounds good. We have quite a few members in the Austin area and I think we should be having some get togethers. I attended one in South Austin (John), one in San Antonio (Luthor) and one in Maryland (Dan) and all three were great!

I think it would be interesting observing how Jonathan would do the measurements and tweaks and such. I'm just doing mine by ear.

I'm currently waiting on some more Adona rack stuff to arrive, as I'm rearranging my equipment. After RMAF, I'll be ordering some more acoustical treatments. When will it end?? :D

Hi Scott, sounds cool. I keep wanting to come on out and see you guys.

I could pack both my regular measurement mic and preamps as well as my Audyssey Pro installer kit and do anyone with a high-end Denon preamp or receiver ;)

Custom wall treatments take time though. Mine were about four months from initial sketch through final touch-ups. :p
Heck even hanging some RealTraps is most of a day affair. But so very much worth it, that’s for sure.

I'd love to also meet some of the MLOC members in Austin when I do get out there.

Back