How did your system change the last year?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
We had a similar thread a year or so ago, so I thought I'd revive the idea. To get the ball rolling, I'll start.

My changes:
After over fifteen years with ML Aerius, I switched to Wilson WP 8's. I've added a new digital source, a Mac Mini with Amarra s/w and the Ayre QB-9 DAC. I've changed two power cords to Pangea AC-9 and two more to Pangea AC-14. I've added VPI mini HR-X feet, a Gingko dust cover and a Soundsmith Counter Intuitive to my Scout. I also added a Fosgate Fozgometer to fine tune the table's azimuth. That's all I can think of right now, except for the all the albums I continue to buy.

So, what system changes have you made over the last year?

Last edited:
I don't know if there is enough room here for all the changes my systems have gone through in the last year. The speaker swapping, the CDP swapping, the cable swapping, the preamp swapping, etc...

I changed almost everything, and some things twice (and some things thrice!)

A year ago it was MAC MCD302 CD/SACD==>Bel Canto Ref1000MKII==>SummitX

Now it's Olive 04HD ==> W4SDAC2 ==> ModWright KWA150SE monos==>CLX
(plus an Oppo BDP-93==>Atlona HD570==>W4S DAC2 - this enables bitstream converted SACD playback)

The sickness is strong in this one...

I brought in a Cary slp98p which was a nice change. It replaced a sunfire tgiii. Then added some sound treatments from GIK acoustics. 4 2x4 4" panels. My room wasn't that bad to begin with but it gave a nice little improvement as well. Next up? Hmmm - thinking about the W4S dac2 which should improve my cdp and put me in a position to play my ripped apple lossless collection.

I changed almost everything

Pretty much the same here:

Preamp - Went from a Pass Labs X2.5 to the X1.
DAC - Went from a PS Audio DL III to a W4S DAC2.
Amps - Went from a Pass X250 to the XA60.5's monos.
Speakers - Went from Vista's to CLS IIz's.
Added the Pass Labs XVR1 Electronic Xover.

I replaced the Jeff Rowland Consonance with the Anthem Statement D2 and purchased a ML stage.

Replaced Quest with Magnepan 1.7. Replaced Shunyata Guardian 4 with Synergistic PowerCell 4.

Still have Stylos in system 2.

No changes to my system at all, but I did get an ear transplant. Was hoping I could afford some Pearson's, but in the end the budget would only allow for some cheap Chinese copy's. I did stretch a bit and got a set of Fremmer's, but of course the only thing I can stand to listen to now is vinyl. WAF was a hurdle as she thinks they're "WAY to big" and doesn't like the extra ear hair that came with them, and of course I told her I only paid about half of what I actually had to lay out for them, but hey, it's better than spending the money on booze and loose women in my book. Break in was a bitch, they didn't sound fully fleshed out until I had about 200 hours on them and I'll tell you what EVERYTHING upstream has to be top notch or the whole thing just falls apart. I'm thinking about rolling in some NOS drums when I can get a chance, but I gotta be cool about it. The wife thinks I'm an idiot for taking the plunge as it is, she was hoping for some enhancements a little further south if you get my drift

Sounds like a serious move, Tim, I bet you start a trend in HiFi. :ROFL:

Tim, some wise man (Roberto, I think) recently said that two inches makes a difference, so I assume that your ears are two inches wider. :)

BTW welcome back; it's good to see you again here, my friend.

Back to the thread....I bought a Fozgometer, period. That's it; nothing else. Does it count ?

Mostly small changes. I bought 3 sets of Audio Prism ground control, a set of grade 3 Symposium rollerballs to go in the double stacked set of rollerblocks under cdp and 4 ASC tube traps.I put the grade 3 rollerblocks in last month, it was a great upgrade. I must say the tube traps really helped with acoustics in the room.

Future updates later this year will be an amp update. I am still thinking over the choices and pretty much have it narrowed down to 2.

Last edited:
The wife thinks I'm an idiot for taking the plunge as it is, she was hoping for some enhancements a little further south if you get my drift

Hey Tim, Just upgrade to the John Holmes for her Christmas Present. Expensive, but well worth it. She won't nag you about your audio habit for a long time and she'll forget all about the hair coming out of your ears.

Oh, and back on topic, I made absolutely no changes to my system last year. Heck, I barely got to use my system last year. Having a three year old is tough on the audio habit. Especially when her bedroom is directly above the media room. D'oh!!!!!

Hey Tim, Just upgrade to the John Holmes for her Christmas Present. Expensive, but well worth it. She won't nag you about your audio habit for a long time and she'll forget all about the hair coming out of your ears.

Oh, and back on topic, I made absolutely no changes to my system last year. Heck, I barely got to use my system last year. Having a three year old is tough on the audio habit. Especially when her bedroom is directly above the media room. D'oh!!!!!

John Holmes - niiiicee, Rich :p

Back