Help - sold 11A, buyer having issues

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bweinstock

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I decided to move on from ESLs, as my primary usage is HT. So, a buyer came and demo'd them yesterday for an hour. Ran them in full range and he was blown away - frankly, I was too LOL. We listened to music I never try and it was incredible. So, he bought them and we carefully wrapped and placed in his car.

He drove 3 hours back home and hooked them up - nothing but crackling/popping from the panels. The bass cabinet is still working, and he vacuumed them. He tried different amps/wires/connectors/etc.

What do you think would cause this? any solutions? My dealer will transfer the warranty I believe, but I can't reach him until tomorrow. I just feel bad as the guy spent a good amount of $$ to take them off my hands. Thanks for any input!

I suspect that in transport the panels slipped and got disconnected. He would have to take off the wood trim from the sides of the speakers and examine the connections. There may be a thread here with detailed information on how to proceed.

I doubt the warranty is transferable.

He would have to take off the wood trim from the sides of the speakers and examine the connections.

The electrics are in the bottom tray which is not complicated to remove from underneath. I've seen the instructions for this, but can't find them right now. In a ML factory video it quickly shows a speaker placed on its side and the factory tech lining up the tray and spinning a bolt to attach. I'm pretty sure it's 4 bolts that the feet screw into, remove those and the entire bottom tray comes loose, less the attachment wires for the panel and woofers (3 separate connectors).

First though, I would use a light and check to see if there are any "dents" in the curved panel and look for warping of the mylar (inconsistent reflections). Maybe a stator is out of alignment?

Last edited:
Spoke w/ dealer - he is going to work w/ the buyer directly. He thinks he MAY have blown the voltage board w/ his amp. The one speaker was working fine, but then stopped at one point as well. So, he thinks its an amplifier issue or a blown board. Likely only $200-300 per speaker, so won't he won't go broke fixing LOL

He is using Emotiva monoblocks. He said he tried a different amp, and then both speakers weren't working - so clearly there's a connection issue of some kind on his side. But, He says he didn't connect them hot, but the dealer says nothing else really makes sense. He was probably in such a rush after the 3 hour drive home that he doesn't remember doing it - probably a common mistake

I gave him such a good deal, that at least it makes sense for him to repair them. Though I still feel bad - although our transaction was completed in perfect condition, I can't imagine his frustration!

Back