Hello...Stats Don't Lie! :)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcchifi

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New convert to ‘stats. I recently purchased a very nice set of SL3s. I have the pair mated to a Parasound HCA-1206 in bi-amp mode with unused two channels. I spoke to a Parasound rep who told me that since I am only running four out of the six channels I am getting an extra 10% [and conceivably higher] power. At 4 ohms with both speaker cables, I am sending 440 to 460 watts each. Cables are Belden 10 gauge wires using GLS Audio locking banana plugs. I had to use locking ones as the one of the standard versions was being shaken loose from the vibrating woofer. For the power cables, I replaced the stock ones with PS Audio Power Punch cords. My pre-pro is an Onkyo PR-SC886 that is currently doing double duty for both music and movies.

With music sources, I am pleased as to how transparent and detailed they are. Quite clean...refined. The seller told me that they don’t do well with rock music but I disagree. What it does well is to reveal the quality [“age”?] of the recording as well as the mastering involved with it. I am a huge Led-Zeppelin fan so when I first hooked them up, I spun “Physical Graffiti” for my enjoyment. The layers of guitars that Page employed on “Ten Years Gone” shimmered while the lilting, pastoral acoustic piece “Bron-Yr-Aur” was a sharp contrast in gentle simplicity and dreamy tones. Even then, it could get down and dirty during “In My Time Of Dying” too. It has the elegance but not at the expense of the crunch. I followed that with a disc of James Bond theme songs. Mono sources? It is locked in tight in the center from early Elvis to early Beach Boys. So far, so good...from Sabbath’s thick, fuzzy tunes to E.L.O. and Queen’s grandiose numbers to Sinatra’s swing. I don’t use the DACs on the Onkyo opting instead with a Parasound 1600-HD DAC. The bass is fine but I accent the wallop with a pair of Velodyne subs.

Right now, due to space constrictions I don’t have them optimally placed but they sound great...at least to me ears anyway. I have been re-connecting with my music collection ever since. I find it interesting that I turn it up but it gets loud without it being painful or obnoxious. Non-fatiguing...isn’t that the word? I’m looking forward to hanging about here in this site...gathering helpful tips and fine reading.

Welcome, glad to 'hear' that you're enjoying your SL-3's !!

It is great to have you here. I am a Newbie too. I am curious what kind of speakers you had before. Are your upstream electronics the same as before you got the SL3's?

^Thank you Twich and Len...

It is great to have you here. I am a Newbie too. I am curious what kind of speakers you had before. Are your upstream electronics the same as before you got the SL3's?
Much appreciated Northy. My previous speakers were Mirage OMD-15s. Small towers but BIG sound which I had relegated to bedroom duty. My upstream gear is the same but I did swap the amps from a Sherbourn to the Parasound. The latter sounds much sweeter with more power capability driving 4 ohms. Also I changed my interconnects from Outlaw PVCs to a Tara Spectrums which really gave the music a fuller body and tamed the brightness.

Back