EMG test and the Russian Torture treatment..........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Today I had a EMG test.:confused: I was under the impression that it would be a few patches and a few small shocks....BOY was I wrong:mad:After enduring what John Rambo went through on the bed springs in shock treatments , It wasn't good enough. The DR broke out the needles! This thing was not a needle but a probe that was about 2.5 inches long and had a wire coming out of it! I asked " HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS?" Her response was,"only 4 times"eek: Well .....let me tell you, after it was 3/4 in calf muscle and her foot working a pedal pushing current through me like DR Frankenstein ! She said just relax! I said "Come closer and Ill show you RELAX!" After she held and twisted my leg and tortured me like a Russian prison camp. I was like 3 more times! :mad: She said OK Ill make it quick ! I guess her version of QUICK is just a tad faster than Martin Logan releasing the CLX.... I was subjected to 3 more of these alien probing shock treatments. I said to her !"now I know why you do not tell people what your going to do as they would bring their guns ! The Russians were kinder I think !

Chris, I had an EMG test several weeks ago, and while shocking and painful, it was nothing like you described. The test is to determine muscle conduction. The technician did break out the needles and casually inserted one into my shoulder, then moved it around as he was not getting a good contact, and was getting artifacts. Not a fun time. He was careful with me, though, as I had worked with him previously when I was doing medical electronics.

I hope that you were not there to confirm a diagnosis similar to mine - polymyositis, a rare muscle disorder. I have been knocked off my feet for the last 4 months, totally exhausted, having lost 30 lbs off my 5' 9" 160 lb frame in 3 months. I am now taking Prednisone, a steroid that is a wonder drug, but with nasty side effects. It takes several weeks to kick in.

Do you know what the CK level in your blood is? It's a muscle indication.

Holly Molly guys, that doe not sound like fun. Bernard, sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully it can be resolved.

Chris, I had an EMG test several weeks ago, and while shocking and painful, it was nothing like you described. The test is to determine muscle conduction. The technician did break out the needles and casually inserted one into my shoulder, then moved it around as he was not getting a good contact, and was getting artifacts. Not a fun time. He was careful with me, though, as I had worked with him previously when I was doing medical electronics.

I hope that you were not there to confirm a diagnosis similar to mine - polymyositis, a rare muscle disorder. I have been knocked off my feet for the last 4 months, totally exhausted, having lost 30 lbs off my 5' 9" 160 lb frame in 3 months. I am now taking Prednisone, a steroid that is a wonder drug, but with nasty side effects. It takes several weeks to kick in.

Do you know what the CK level in your blood is? It's a muscle indication.

I don't know the CK level ! I go back in 2 weeks for some blood work I guess. I will ask. I had a battery of tests the last year. From MRI to CAT scans and a few more! I'm getting pins and needles that are not in one area and muscle aches, lots of them in the shoulders ! Its been a on and off type of deal.

On edit I did look at all my CK or Creatin levels and they all looked good from the past year ! But what do I know!

Where is HOUSE when ya need him !

Last edited:
Holly Molly guys, that doe not sound like fun. Bernard, sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully it can be resolved.
Thanks for the sympathy, Dave. There are no guarantees of course, but there is a good chance that it will be resolved with the meds I am taking; I have already had some small positive indications.

Best of luck with whatever symptoms you're experiencing. On the positive side, you should be pleased to know that you experienced what sounds like a legitimate needle EMG. Unfortunately it's not a comfortable experience, but it's an effective diagnostic test when done properly.

Regards,
Jason

Back