Descent i information on M-L website

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
For those that are waiting to find out more about the Descent i and Depth i subwoofers, M-L has just updated its website to accommodate these new additions to their lineup. They also offer on line manuals for those so interested to explore the set up of these speakers. It appears that the weight of the new i series has increased over their predecessors, eg, the Descent i weighs over 100 pounds.
I have a pair of Descent i's coming in this week and I will let the members know my impressions. I have a pair of older Descents that I plan to keep in the system as well but they will be placed in the rear with the newer ones going to the front.

now that's a lot of base... Looking forward to your impressions. I listened to them last week in the local retain here in Austin... first the looked AWESOME... the sound was strong as well... although it will probably sound even better after a few hours of play.

now that's a lot of base... Looking forward to your impressions. I listened to them last week in the local retain here in Austin... first the looked AWESOME... the sound was strong as well... although it will probably sound even better after a few hours of play.

I was up at Audio Systems last week too! Visited w/ Stuart a bit about a Salamander stand that can manage a 70" Sony that I hope to add at some point.

They looked good with all the new speakers. With my last gen speakers asthetically they would not go. Probably a good timbral balance w/ the previous gen stuff though. The new Descent seems MUCH bigger than the old one!

Descent i's have arrived!

Just got the Descent i's today. Some adventure was involved after we got them out of the cartons that looked like they had played about 3 quarters of NFL defense.
Half-time score:
3 of the 6 speaker dustcovers were either damaged or missing push lugs to fit their designated holes.
1 speaker had a horrendous wobble/hum with turn on.
Problems will be fixed by M-L after reporting damage.
For future buyers, the shipping crates are being revised and improved so damage should be prevented.
The wobble/hum was an disconnected cable that was corrected by removing a woofer and reconnecting the cable.
Once all was said and done, the low end information delivered by this system is unbelievable.
I already have two older Descents which are now the rear subwoofers.
I will tell all M-L owners with surround systems that, if resources permit, 4 subs is the way to go. There is a sense of air motion in the room that is palpable.
Granted there will be a break-in period as is the case with all M-L woofers. If it gets better than this, I may never leave my listening room.
The major advantage of the new i's over the older speakers is more flexibility in set up and better bass extension. They are slightly more expensive but this is a case of getting what you pay for.
By the way, you should be away that M-L is resurrecting the CLS series with the CLX. I have not seen or heard this speaker but it will present a real option for those not interested in dealing with hybrids or crossovers.

Anyone Noticed the CLX Release Date Announcement?

When I was reading the ML Descent i information on their website, I noticed the following statement:

"An optional internal module will be available with low-pass filtering custom tailored to the MartinLogan CLX full-range electrostatic loudspeaker, targeted for release in the fall of 2007."

I had not seen this before, and was wondering if anyone else had noticed. Darn. Fall seems like an awful long time to wait. I will be moving into a new house with a dedicated media room in May and I had hoped to have it set up and ready to go by move in. I could continue to use the Ascents until Fall, or I could just jump on the Summits and be done. I expect to use a Stage for center and Clarities for the rears in this setup, and I already have a Descent. So should I buy Summits now, or wait until Fall so I can audition the CLX? Opinions anyone?

Of course, there is that possible June audition date to consider, right Tom?

So should I buy Summits now, or wait until Fall so I can audition the CLX? Opinions anyone?

Of course, there is that possible June audition date to consider, right Tom?

If money and shipping are not an issue then buy the Summits now and then check out the CLX when they come out. If you like them more buy them and sell the Summits to someone here or on Audiogon!

If price IS an issue then wait till the fall to see which you like better and only buy ONCE!

Yes.. I've been told we will be auditioning the CLX at the ML factory tour at this summer's event. :eek:

OH YEAH! I just shipped my Apogees to their new owner today-had them for twelve years. Brought tears to my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I do like my Summits, but there is something about big, ugly room filling planars that makes my heart go pitter patter. I have high hopes for the CLX and won't the Summits make fine video speakers!?

If money and shipping are not an issue then buy the Summits now and then check out the CLX when they come out. If you like them more buy them and sell the Summits to someone here or on Audiogon!

If price IS an issue then wait till the fall to see which you like better and only buy ONCE!

Thanks for the input, James. I like the practical nature of your advice. Lucky for me, money is not too much of an issue. My wife's opinion is to go ahead and get the Summits (gotta love that woman). I think I am leaning that way. I love my Ascents, but really wanted the Prodigies when I bought them. I couldn't afford them at the time. Now that I can, I am tired of patiently waiting for that upgrade. Once we are in the new house and I have the system set up, I will finally post it in the "Members Systems" section.

Thanks for the input, James. I like the practical nature of your advice. Lucky for me, money is not too much of an issue. My wife's opinion is to go ahead and get the Summits (gotta love that woman). I think I am leaning that way. I love my Ascents, but really wanted the Prodigies when I bought them. I couldn't afford them at the time. Now that I can, I am tired of patiently waiting for that upgrade. Once we are in the new house and I have the system set up, I will finally post it in the "Members Systems" section.

Rich, you will love those Summit's I am sure and they take up WAY LESS space than Prodigy do! Love my Prod's but the Summit would be a nice change for me, if I were able to change all of the speakers at once. I like how all of my current speakers "go together" and look like the same family since they are and are all from the same generation.

Sounds like you are as lucky as me and have a GREAT wife who is very patient and forgiving of our crazy hobbies and indulgences! :D

It seems like the definitive top, a poor man's statement configuration - but in any case the nirvana of Martin Logan's possible setup - is going to be a pair of CLX together with a pair of Descent i's... right in time for Christmas 2007.

Wouldn't that make an used Summit's price sink dramatically ? I would not rush out right now and buy a new pair of Summits, I would rather wait to get the Audiogoned Summits coming from the CLX early adopters.. or wait till I can listen to the CLX and decide, having a clear picture of all my options, one of them being preordering a pair of CLX.

If the national get-together offers to the partecipants, as Tom says, this wonderful option (getting intimate with the CLX) then it might be a good idea to wait 5 months and then decide, having seen the whole picture.

Am I getting old ?

Summits vs CLX

I spoke with M-L last week. The CLX speakers "may" (this is the operative word) be out late this year. They are updated CLS "full-range" ESLs with no crossover using the new frame and panel technology that is in the current ESL line. Although they will avoid any issues with integration of dynamic woofer and ESL panels, they will still need bass reinforcement, as did their predecessors.
I wouldn't start chucking the Summits out the window. M-L really did get the hybrid design right with these speakers.
There will be trade-offs for sure going either route. To get adequate bass response will almost certainly requiring pairing the CLX's with 2 Descent i's ($6k by themselves).

Will you really need a pair of Descent i's with the CLS's? While that surely be the ultimate setup, wouldn't a single Descent i be sufficient?

Will you really need a pair of Descent i's with the CLS's? While that surely be the ultimate setup, wouldn't a single Descent i be sufficient?

I think a single Descent should cover the infrasonics quite well... of course, going stereo subs is the way to go in the case of the truly critical 2ch listener.

I am seriously thinking about the CLX now... they will be far lighter than the Summits to move around, which would make an awesome load for me and my apt early-city inhabiting ways! :)

When I hear the CLX at Kansas and I start reading about them, I might have to put my Summits on the 'gon and move to the CLX realm... while I wait for the Super Summits (aka Mini Statement) to be developed in the following years.

Finally, something to look forward to this year!!

while I wait for the Super Summits (aka Mini Statement) to be developed in the following years.

Finally, something to look forward to this year!!

My local dealer and I were talking about this on Friday. He said the CLX were coming but that he did not see a reason to use them over the Summit's. Just his view. I said something about the Statements and that they don't make them anymore and he said, yea they will make you a set. I said what about $84k or so...he said keep going they are up near or just over $100k. He said look at it this way they can make way more than 10 Summits in the amount of time to make ONE Statement, so they prefer to sell the Summits.

I then said something about a speaker between that upper limit and above the Summits and he said to look for a speaker in the $20k range next year...

Mini-Statement or Super-Summit...

YMMV.

Back