Close call!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
So last night I was in my basement watching football when I heard a noise that sounded like water gushing out at high pressure. I assumed it was the washing machine. When I checked the washing machine it was not even running. I walk out of the laundry room only to see a gusher of water behind the bar. The sump-pump pipe had worked loose and was shooting water 3’ into the air. I quickly unplugged the pump and set about fixing the pipe. After the repairs were done I tested it and all was working fine. Then it hit me, what if I was a sleep or we were not at home. My stereo, HT and TV could all have been water logged. I called my insurance company this morning to see if I’m covered. Guess what? I’m not. I had to get a new policy that covers this. I guess if you have a basement it is a mater of time before it floods. I will have to look for ways to keep some of the high $$$ equipment higher off of the ground.

one morning the cat wouldn't go downstairs to her litterbox. plaintive cries and a fear of a present on my pillow led me to check things out. found 4 inches of water on the basement floor. did i say rising water? sigh. it happens to us all at least once.

if you have a home alarm system (and what audiophile doesn't :) ) there is usually a floormounted water detector. it's designed to be put near the water tank in case it stars to leak.

i'd put one by the gear...

Flooding......I charlie Browned it one time to several inches of water in my third living room now listening room. The washer tub pump stopped. I had my equipment upstairs at the time. It is something we addressed with a no washing going on unless its monitered for now.The overall plan is to move them to the basement.

Well I'm insured up to $10,000.00 on items in the basement. Well worth the money I think. I hope I never have to use it.

Last edited:
Well I'm insured up to $10,000.00 on content. Well worth the money I think. I hope I never have to use it.
So that'll cover the speakers. What about the amps? :)

Oddly, I can't recall knowing anyone in Florida that's had a flooded basement, even during hurricanes.

(I can only remember actually having been in one house in Florida that had a real basement, though!) :D

Oddly enough this is the most I can get insurance for objects in the basement. I asked for more but State Farm told me 10k is the max for sump pump / sewer. I will be moving the high dollar items higher off the ground.

if you have a home alarm system there is usually a floormounted water detector.

Cherian,
This is a very good idea,
Last January when we got all that rain here in Chicago, I get a call at 4am from my alarm company that they are getting a signal from my sump pump alarm.
My sump pump failed, but there was nothing I could do, Lowes didn't open till 6am.
I now have a spare sump pump just in case it ever goes out again in the middle of the night.
As you know my listening room is on the third floor, so no problems there.
But it cost me $3,500 to replace the carpet in the basement,had I had a spare sump pump at the time I could have saved the carpet.

So not only get an alarm sensor down there, always have a spare sump pump handy, even if it fails when the store is open you still lose valuable time driving to get it, or they could be out of stock. I was one of 3 people that morning waiting outside Lowes to open that morning needing a sump pump.

Not to mention that a generator is a great investment along with the extra pump. I just re-installed a friends basement who had 2 pumps but the power was out for an extended period of time, bad news. Small investment comparatively speaking.

Latest posts

Back