choice of speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husk

Reaction score
hello - Im calling from the UK - where its a bit difficult to listen and compare electrostatics - some Martin Logan dealers but little for Magneplanar. !

I would be grateful for a steer for choosing speakers.

My only contact with ML was very briefly, at a hi fi show in Bristol - right at chucking out time! Dont know what model they were - but first impressions were of a bright, lively sound, and very controlled bass - with a lot of detail.

In comparison Quad ESL63 I owned years ago were more relaxed, less bright but also highly detailed so you could hear through the mix to background , low level detail - which I loved - and feel is part of the electrostatic world.

I have also considered Magneplanar MG12's which are well reviewed, but am taken by the Martin Logan Source - again based on reviews - and their looks!

I would be extremely grateful for any comments on comparison of ML / Quad / Maagneplanr sound - I do like bright treble / tight bass / and lots of detail.

Amplification is Cambridge 840A - Ive heard with Quads and works OK - one day Ill afford better!

thanks in advance

Husk

Sources

The Source give you a great taste of ML at a reasonable price. The speaker is not bright (if it is its probably your electronics). The bass is tight and punchy but does not goes deep. Very revealing with bad recordings.

I wouldn't really judge ML's hearing them at a high fi show where rooms are generally not the best for demonstration purposes.I haven't heard any bright sounding Martin Logans, details yes and beautiful midrange.

Do you recall the equipment used at the show with the logans?

Cheers, Greg

Back