Bipolar Speaker setup

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeratheart

Reaction score
Do speaker setups change between dipolar and bipolar speaker designs? I'm following ML setup specs and just wondering if I'm missing anything. It's not particularly high end gear, just curious. I did google it and search here but didn't find exactly what I'm wondering.

Thanks.
Ben

Ben,
Not sure what your asking, but electrostatic speakers are dipole speakers the rear output is out of phase with the front output, with bipolar the sound out of the front and back are in phase. With bipolar speakers there would be no cancellation of the side wave, meaning you would have to tame the side wave as well as the rear wave, with dipoles your taming just the back wave. Maybe some of the more knowledgable on this site will chime in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for info just like that. I knew the difference between di and bipoles, just couldn't understand results of those differences. Since all the spots in the room are good for home theater, I must have lots of rear and side waves running rampant in my room. I'm going to keep moving them away from side walls and front wall like logans like. Just wondering if that would even do any good with these speakers. Thanks again.

ben

Back