Best sub under $1k to add to Spire/Theater i setup?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hocky,

I am not saying you are a jerk.

You've indicated what your criteria is regarding subwoofer performance. However, it's your reality.

Others may or may not agree with your perspective. Really not a surprise in such a subjective hobby.

Best,

GG

Thanks for the opinions, everyone!
It's a tough decision as the ID subs cannot be auditioned and the other subs are tough to find locally. (and then won't sound the same in the testing rooms as it would in my setup)

I'm leaning towards the Epik Empire, HSU VTF-15H, and Rythmik F15.
I like the price of the REL T2, but I don't think it can compete with any of the above. (I'm guessing it's going to be similar to my Grotto which is nice, but not quite enough for my space)

There are lots of subs that let you know they're there every time you switch your system on. Both in looks and sound. To be frank, I laughed when I saw the size of the REL T2: "You've got to be kidding!" I was auditioning subs way bigger than this before I was introduced to the T2.

Anyhow, I borrowed a store demo T2, took it home and after what seemed like hours setting the thing up, I played some tunes - nothing really spectacular with the bass. Increasing the level didn't help that much. There was a little bit of rumble here and there - it was kind of what I expected in a little sub.

Then I played 'Battleship". All of a sudden, this really low bass came out of nowhere and rattled the windows. I thought it was a low flying F35! Actually it was....

I worked out the REL only plays bass when it's there in music or movies. It doesn't add any. That's why some REL's can sound anaemic compared with other subs. I ended up getting a good deal so I bought the REL T2. I guess some listeners want more impact all the time. Maybe Def Tech, SVS etc might be a good option.

If I had the dollars, I would purchase one of the reference series Martin Logan subs. They are awesome!

Last edited:
Jbannas,
what are you trying to achieve with replacing your current sub setup with a new one?
You have one 10" and one 12" plus woofers from your Spires 10"x2. Altogether it should be enough to fill your room with bass.
I'd rather focus on subs placement and room bass traps if you don't have any.
Proper subs placement and/or EQ plus room treatment can make a huge difference. Without it even $10k sub can sound bad. (TBO I never encountered $10k sub :)
If you are trying to pull multiple subs setup plus your Spires carrying full range than welcome to my hell......

I worked out the REL only plays bass when it's there in music or movies. It doesn't add any. That's why some REL's can sound anaemic compared with other subs. I ended up getting a good deal so I bought the REL T2. I guess some listeners want more impact all the time. Maybe Def Tech, SVS etc might be a good option.

If I had the dollars, I would purchase one of the reference series Martin Logan subs. They are awesome!

Thats a great choice, I posted this on another thread to do with subs.
"I have had Rels, Depthi's and Wilson Benesch Torus (all in pairs). The most musical were the older Rels, I have not tried the newer versions."

Back