Bending over backwards for ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanchito

Reaction score
Hello!

I'll be moving to a new apartment in a few months and would like to ask the experts if this is too crazy:

My living room would be 10 feet wide, 20 feet long (I've attached a diagram)

room.jpg

So, I have 10 feet wall to wall to place my coach, TV a coffee table and the Martin Logans. Right. :p

My idea was to put two EFX as front L/R speakers right next to the wall, something for the center channel (undecided yet) and Motion 2 / Motion 4 as rear surrounds. And a subwoofer, of course.

The problem is I don't know if this the EFX will behave well (they are suppoused to be used like that, but I've found exactly 0 reviews on them online), I don't know if they'll sound well with the Motions and I don't even know how do they compare to the Theos (which I've listened to and were the speakers that made me fall in love with Martin Logan). Does this make sense? When will some reviews on the EFX start coming? They were announced like more than half a year ago!

To summarize:
  • Small apartment, with neighbours and thin walls. Need a system that sounds good at low to medium volumes
  • Home Theater use mainly, to watch movies with the wife. Some critical music listening every now and then.
  • 10 feet wall to wall distance
  • Mixing EFX with Motion 2 / 4, undecided center channel, undecided subwoofer
  • May trick my better half into conditioning the room for audio if whatever I do passes as decoration.

Or should I desist and get some regular speakers? :(

Thank you!

Ok, how about this....

Throw out all the furniture, except for one chair.
Buy a pair of CLX ART's. Place them at the bottom portion of the diagram, you sit near the top 15 ft away.
Buy a gun to keep the pesky neighbors "quiet".
The wife may need to go to.....

:)

My comments, with the caveat that I'm not a home theatre person:

You are trying to squeeze six speakers into a small space, with a further constraint that with thin walls and close neighbours your home theatre experience is going to be limited. So why not use the money to buy just two higher-qualty speakers higher up the ML line?

Again, note my caveat. My HT consists of a 32" TV; period.

Welcome Zanchito! Hope things are well for you in Spain.

My first reaction would be to go perhaps a step further than Invenio's suggestion... which would be, don't move into that apartment. ;)

Good luck whatever you end up doing!

Ok, how about this....

Throw out all the furniture, except for one chair.
Buy a pair of CLX ART's. Place them at the bottom portion of the diagram, you sit near the top 15 ft away.
Buy a gun to keep the pesky neighbors "quiet".
The wife may need to go to.....

:)

man, you really know me! thats exactly my current setup with guns and all. Minus the TV......

hahah! Well I do have the whole house thing...so neighbors arent an issue....But my CLX room is watched over by Mr. Kimber, Mr. Glock, Mr. Ruger, Mr. many!!

I think the efx should go to the rear and up front you should go with LX16 for fronts with a EMC2 . Now that would be a killer system that would provide great clarity at low volumes

LX16 http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/bookshelf.php
EMC2 center https://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/em-c2.php

Well, those are some very sensible speakers, I'll look for more information on them, thank you!!! But sending the EFX to the back would be a no-no, as I have no way of setting them in the right position, that's why I was thinking about bookshelf speakers for the surround. Also, I would have thought the EFX would be "the main speakers" in such a system, are the LX16 so good as to displace the EFX from that position?

You are trying to squeeze six speakers into a small space, with a further constraint that with thin walls and close neighbours your home theatre experience is going to be limited. So why not use the money to buy just two higher-qualty speakers higher up the ML line?
You're right there, but I think something might be worked out. Right now I have a small surround set up (Auzentech X-Fi Prelude + Logitech Z-5500 speakers) on my computer in a very small room and of course it's not mind blowing, but it works nice enough.

To the others:
I married my wife, not my speakers. I'm sure the judge wouldn't side with me. TSV_1: thanks for the good wishes, things could be a lot better, but we're not Greece, luckily. :/

Last edited:
Is Necropop similarly armed, or does he only have a pop gun?
Hello Bernard,

No guns here other than 15 year old grandsons BB rifle that lives with us.

I have taught my Rotty to keep unwanted guests out of my stereo room:D

Best,
Bob

Hey zanch

The efx should be fine at the back because the woofer still is aimed at you like a regular bookshelf but the tweeters fire off in different directions giving you a more ambient effect to your surrounds and one that all the listeners in every seating position will hear. to my ears the efx's gives the impression that they are further back than they are positioned. I Dont think they have a bestbuy in Spain so it may be hard to go get a Demo ?

Hard indeed, thank you for the tip anyway! I'll make a post in the room preparation forum with a couple more questions once I'm closer to the actual project start date. Still no luck reading any online reviews or impressions on the EFX. :(

Hi Zanchito,
Please remember that if you are thinking of installing electrostats in that room that symmetry is everything (both symmetry in positioning and symmetry of the room itself as viewed by the speaker.)
The more precise the symmetry, the more wonderful the sound you will hear. :)
Best regards....

Back