Bel Canto eVo4: bi-wire or bridged?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvitez

Reaction score
I sent my eVo4 to Bel Canto. They checked it out and all was normal. So my weird experiences after high volume overheating shut down were due to electrical gremlins. Hmmmm. In discussion with Matt from Bel Canto, I've splurged and had him upgrade it to Gen II factory specs. He did reiterate that bridging the amp halves the impedence which is undoubtely why it overheated, but luckily I never listen that loud or long (except once :D)

So now I want to try and see how the Gen II compares to my Ayre. Really apples and oranges I know, but that's why I want to compare. Matt suggested I try and bi-wire my Summits. I want to compare this to running in bridged mode. Just for my OCD tendencies, can anyone confirm this is the proper set up:

1. Remove metal jumper from Summit
2. Switch amp to 4 channel mode.
3. Plug one speaker wire into each channel, and run it to each speaker, ie 1 right amp channel to bass , second right amp channel to 'stat panel, and same for left speaker.

This way I'll have 120 watts to each, vs 400 watts in bridged 2 channel mode. All the 'net reviews mention how much better the amp sounds in bridged mode, but I want to try it for myself. If I don't like it, I can use the amp for an upcoming home theatre setup. Any opinions/suggestions?

Sorry, I guess I should have said bi-amp, even if both amps are coming from one chassis.

Last edited:
Back