Austin City Limits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
Austin City Limits Presents:

On your local PBS station, Austin City Limits.................it's been really extra good all this summer. I don't know whats changed, as I've never been able to sit all the way though the program before this year. I'm guessing they made the format more progressive for one thing.

I have to find the names of the two groups I saw last month, I wrote them down somewhere, they were very good too.

Austin City Limits Presents:
This week Alejandro Escovedo (click link to see videos):
http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/artists/Escovedo.html

Has anyone else rediscovered Austin City Limits this year?

The first time I ever watched Austin City Limits was years ago on the hotel room TV on vacation in Nawlin's when my wife and I caught Stevie Ray Vaughn playing "Riviera Paradise". It hasn't been nearly as good since but I'll give it another try.

so what would be so terrible . . . . ?

I did write to ask (for I thought good reasons) that they ID the performer(s) a few times during their set like on c-span or Charlie Rose, instead of just once at the beginning. They responded with the suggestion I look it up: on-screen, online, or the TV guide. I wrote back that even though that was a right answer, it was still a wrong answer.

I even explained one reason for my request was I enjoyed the new artists being presented, but was often familiar only with their names not their looks. Sorry, no dice! :( After all, they are PBS!

I caught Alejandro Escovedo on Austin City limits Sat. night. A good show. If any one hasn't heard his new cd - The boxing mirror, that was being featured on the show. Also an older cd of Alejandro Escovedo - a man under the influence is really great.:rocker:
Jim

I caught Alejandro Escovedo on Austin City limits Sat. night. A good show. If any one hasn't heard his new cd - The boxing mirror, that was being featured on the show. Also an older cd of Alejandro Escovedo - a man under the influence is really great.:rocker:
Jim
They flashed his name maybe four or five times during the show, and had it up for more than the 1.5 seconds at the end to describe in and during the interview the several "near death" experiences which is accredited for the depth of his music. Maybe it was not 1.5 seconds, more like .75 seconds. I mean look at the man's name, it's not John Smith, very fustrating trying to get the spelling right.:mad:

I did write to ask (for I thought good reasons) that they ID the performer(s) a few times during their set like on c-span or Charlie Rose, instead of just once at the beginning. They responded with the suggestion I look it up: on-screen, online, or the TV guide.

I even explained one reason for my request was I enjoyed the new artists being presented, but was often familiar only with their names not their looks. Sorry, no dice! :( After all, they are PBS!

Yup, PBS knows what is best for you... they are basically an extension of the government so, you should have known better than to even ask! I watch NOVA from time to time on PBS as well as Motorweek, other than that, I never watch PBS... I do however listen to some NPR programming and I just have to keep reminding myself, they have a liberal bias and expect it, as long as I do that I can listen and enjoy... LOL!

UPDATE: 12/15/2008

I did not turn my 2-channel system on this weekend, however I did catch most of "Crowded House" on "Austin City Limits". I missed the first 10-15 minutes of the hour long performance, it was excellent. At first I did not know who it was, I kept saying to myself - I know this band.

Crowded House
http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=148&Itemid=636

Also worth watching was Paul McCartney (PBS) showing how song are recorded and some interesting background stories on musical influences and techniques. Even if you have never picked up a musical instrument before or don't like Paul, you will get somethiong out of watching this program. Again I missed the first 15 minutes of it.

Paul McCartney (Abbey Road Studio)
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/mccartney/index.html

+1 on the Paul McCartney PBS show. Just Paul by himself playing all kinds of different instruments including the upright bass that Elvis' bass player recorded with. Looked like a medium size dinner club. Excellent musicianship...

+1 on the Paul McCartney PBS show. Just Paul by himself playing all kinds of different instruments including the upright bass that Elvis' bass player recorded with. Looked like a medium size dinner club. Excellent musicianship...

I thought that too, and what a lucky group of people to be sitting there - a chance of a lifetime. It was Studio-2 at Abbey Road.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/mccartney/index.html
In this unique concert, the legendary Paul McCartney returns to Studio 2 at London's Abbey Road Studios (where most of the Beatles' recordings were made) for a fascinating journey through his songwriting career, from his very first Beatles song to the work for his new album, CHAOS AND CREATION IN THE BACKYARD.

Back