Audiophile Glossary

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you wonder what the audiophile means when he says this phono cartridge is glassy or that speaker has grainy highs? No more. Just consult the Audiophile Glossary.

Do you wonder what the audiophile means when he says this phono cartridge is glassy or that speaker has grainy highs? No more. Just consult the Audiophile Glossary.

Here's what I thought they meant...

Speaker has grainy highs = the sand bags used inside the speaker cabinet for dampening are leaking sand.

Phono cartridge glassy = forgot to place the record on the glass platter.

If music can sound dry...why can't it sound wet?

Maybe I should read the book.

Last edited:
Oh man, don’t get me started…

The ‘audiophile’ terms drive me insane. I’ve canceled my Stereophile subscription at least three times in 20 years because I just could not take the BS anymore.

It is sad that we try and find / invent words to describe what are fundamental, scientifically measurable and describable phenomena.

It’s OK to use fancy words to describe how one feels about the sound, or how we might perceive the overall speaker/room experience from a human listener standpoint.

What makes me crazy is when the performance of the speaker or product is described in this often ‘mystical’ terminology. :mad:

Just publish the metrics and the graphs.

If more people who are seriously into audio learned more about the science of sound in rooms, and of how to analyze and interpret these metrics , then we’d have much more cogent discussions on performance.

It’s as if the medical profession quit doing metrics and analysis and just evaluated medicines or procedures in highly subjective terms. It would be hard to image that profession/science moving forward at any reasonable pace.

Back