Audio Research VS110 Power Amplifier driving SL3s ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob1902

Reaction score
Hi all
I am considering changing my power amp (Cambridge Audio Azur 840W) and wondered if the Audio Research VS110 Power Amplifier would be up to driving my SL3s. Any advice/thoughts would be gratefully received.
Rob.

Hi all
I am considering changing my power amp (Cambridge Audio Azur 840W) and wondered if the Audio Research VS110 Power Amplifier would be up to driving my SL3s. Any advice/thoughts would be gratefully received.
Rob.

Rob:

IMO, If you ever want to know if an amp is able to drive ML electrostatics is to look at its power rating into 4 and 2 ohms and its stability below 2 ohms as the ESL is a capacitive load whose impedance plunges with increasing frequency with about 0.5-0.8 ohms at 20KHz. If it can handle these loads ok, without oscillating or shutting down, then you can be sure it will drive an ESL with no problems.

Now, the VS110 is a 100W stereo tube amplifier spec'd with 4/8 ohm speaker taps so its difficult to determine if it can safely drive the SL3. But know this, since the otput impedance of a tube amplifier is greater than the SL3 at high frequecies, it will shelve the high frequencies by about 2 -3dB starting at about 5KHz on towards 20Khz, so the HF response might not be an issue.

Last edited:
The VS110 should be brilliant with the SL3's having owned a pair in the past, the AR amps are great with Esl's.

Hola. I am using in my CLXs an old VT-100MKII modified, but it is the same power and same 6550s. Also have a Conrad Johnson power amp and love both amps. I really like what I listen. Trust your ears and choose the one that you liked most!. Happy listening!

Rob, why not keep your Cambridge for the bottom end and insert the ARC for the panel (I'm thinking Rich would concur)

Regardless as the others have said trust your ears, I do agree with dmusoke regarding high freq concerns, but depending on your age and high freq capability of your hearing it may be of no concern.

Good luck, keep us posted

Back