Any tips on Soundproofing an existing wall?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltran

Reaction score
This isn't directly related to home audio, but it is about sound, so I figured some of you must have experience with sound proofing.

I live in a condominium where it is not uncommon for there to be a somewhat loud, thumping bass that can be heard in my bedroom until midnight or later. I'm not really sure if it's coming from outside or another unit in the building - I think it's coming from a bar a couple blocks away, but I'm not positive.

Anyway, it seems to come about 90% from one wall in the room, and that wall is about 2/3 windows and 1/3 solid wall (it's an exterior wall). The sound doesn't really seem to come through the windows. If I put my ear up against the glass it's almost silent, but if I put my ear against the wall it can clearly be heard resonating through the wall, and touching the wall is enough to feel the wall vibrating. Is there anything I can do to help prevent the bass from resonating through this wall?

Check out Roxul acoustic foam to replace your existing insulation (assuming there is some!). If you want to go further, use 5/8" gyprock sheets (double layers sandwiching Green Glue if possible and within your budget) for your wall.

It is extremely difficult to block bass as it travels through walls fairly easily unless it runs into something very dense. There are ways and various products that can help but it typically isn't cheap and at the end of the day not always that effective (for bass)

The most effective way is to decouple the walls/ ceiling and put green glue in. Please check out my thread below:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10860&highlight=soundproofing

If you go to the website of the soundproofing company, they have some illustrations. They are also very helpful if you contact them directly. I agree with Andrew that getting the last bit of the bass thumping is a challenge.

Good Luck!

Ted White at "Green Glue" has pages and pages of DIY soundproofing projects.
The "AVS Forum" has a sub-forum dedicated to room construction.

I have an easy solution which I use every night. I wear foam ear plugs to bed due to having 2 cats roaming around.You can't hear a thing with the ear plugs and they are quite comfortable to wear.

A pair usually last a week and you can buy a box of 100 very cheaply. Try it out and sleep well.

Cheers, Greg

Is there any sort of expanding foam product I could inject into the walls that might help, or something like that which wouldn't require demolition?

To block bass you need mass...and lots of it. Blocking higher frequency noise is fairly easy and affordable with dense sheet rock etc but getting the deep bass noise tamed is very difficult.

Back