Any Recommendations for a 32" TV?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I am shopping around for a new TV, and am looking at buying a 32-inch LCD TV. HT is unimportant to me, so I am not looking for a humongoug 50+-inch model.

I was looking at a Sony (I like Sony for TV's) for $700, but for $800 I can get a Samsung that does 1080p whereas the Sony does not.

Anyone have any experience with the Samsung?

Thanks,

Bernard

I've got two Samsung 42" DLP's Bernard. I'm not a huge video guy, but I've always enjoyed the picture quality immensely and perhaps more important, I've never had a lick of trouble with either of them.

I've got a 32 inch Lowe Aconda (CRT) in the bedroom - and it's brilliant... but it keeps breaking - 3 times now, so can't recommend Loewe. Sister has the same set and has had similar problems. Loewe are very expensive, generally.

Anyway, I think Samsung do well on price/performance, and was thinking of a 40 inch for my listening room. Great contrast ratios and great subjective pictures from the showrooms I've seen them in. And with the prices being charged now, why not go for a bigger screen? Fan or not, a big screen IS good.

Last edited:
I was looking at a Sony (I like Sony for TV's) for $700, but for $800 I can get a Samsung that does 1080p whereas the Sony does not.

I like Sony's as well, but you can't go wrong with either one.

On a screen that small, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 720 and 1080 resolution.

If your into sports or rapid action movies, etc., look for the 120hz re-fresh rate, assuming your leaning towards LCD.

With that being said let the Sales in your area dictate, IMO.

oh yeah, I also like Sharp (Aquos) as well as Toshiba.

Nothing wrong with Samsung LCDs. Each time that I go look at flatscreens, the Sony Bravias and Samsungs consistently appear to have the best overall picture and, especially, color. Not much difference in price, either for the same sized screens. I've been looking at 46'-52" models and I would be happy with either brand.

While I realize that Bernard's question was about 32" screens, my office currently has several dozen 21" and 22" Samsung LCDs connected to PC & Mac workstations. They have been very reliable, not a single failure. So, if 21/22" unit quality is in any way comparable to their 32" screens, you should be a happy owner.

As I mentioned, I would be happy to own either Sony or Samsung.

I am shopping around for a new TV, and am looking at buying a 32-inch LCD TV. HT is unimportant to me, so I am not looking for a humongoug 50+-inch model.

Anyone have any experience with the Samsung?

Thanks,

Bernard

I was just looking at the Consumer Reports today. They list Panasonic as the best at 32" LCD, Sony at 37", and Samsung at 40"... Whatever that is worth.

I own a 23" Samsung LCD in a well lit kitchen, and it's great.

I've got a 32 inch Lowe Aconda (CRT) in the bedroom - and it's brilliant... but it keeps breaking - 3 times now, so can't recommend Loewe. Sister has the same set and has had similar problems. Loewe are very expensive, generally.

I've never heard of those issues with Loewe, but I've recommended a few Metz LCDs to friends and family (including my parentsj - They've got a Milos 32" - and they've never had any issues. I have found the picture on Metz and Loewe about on par - and certainly in a different class to anything from the east.

I've got a Hitachi plasma myself, but I couldn't tell you how good it is because it's off most of the time!

You can't go wrong with a Sony or a Samsung. I looked at both and I owned 3 Sony TVs (2 XBRs) prior to purchasing my first HDTV several months ago. I went with the Samsung, because I thought it looked slightly better than even the Sony XBRs. I'd say if you can get a 1080P in a 32", get that.
Torry

PS you may want to consider a 37 or 40 inch. Hey, you only live once!

Thanks for all the comments guys; looks like I can't go wrong with either. And yes, tav1, I am flirting with getting a 37 or 40 inch display.

I decided to buy the Samsung 32" LCD TV, advertised on sale for $799 at Future Shop (normally $999). The sales guy asked if I would be interested in buying an open box (full warranty and fully refundable if not satisfied) for about $50 less. I asked him if he could do better than $50. We went over to an open box - marked down to $664. I decided to take it. When he rang it into his system it came up at $629 ! Bonus !

I decided to buy the Samsung 32" LCD TV, advertised on sale for $799 at Future Shop (normally $999). The sales guy asked if I would be interested in buying an open box (full warranty and fully refundable if not satisfied) for about $50 less. I asked him if he could do better than $50. We went over to an open box - marked down to $664. I decided to take it. When he rang it into his system it came up at $629 ! Bonus !

Sounds to me like someone got a good deal!

Sounds to me like someone got a good deal!
Yes, it was sweet !

And once I set it up it was obvious that it was large enough for the room. I do not have it smack dab between my ML's, screwing up the image; I have nothing between my speakers. The TV is on a side wall.

I suggest that after you have 100 hours of viewing, that you have it calibrated. If you think the picture is good now, you won't believe how much better it will be after calibration.

Latest posts

Back