Amps needed?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

billypratt75

I'm new here and I just purchased a pair of ML Mosaics from Tweeter over Christmas. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Anyway, I also bought a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver (great deal too) as well and I am wondering if I need an amp to help power these. It just seems that the volume has to be turned up quite a bit to get strong sound.
I have been reading a lot about Outlaw Audio and their equipment seems to be quite nice at a great price. I am thinking of going with 2 2200 monoblock amps. These should put out plenty of power for these speakers and the sound is supposed to extremely clean.
As of right now, I just have the fronts and I'm about to purchase a center in the near future as well as a sub. When I do buy the center, I can just pick up another 2200 to help with power.
Please let me know if this sounds like a good route, or if I'm wasting my time.
Thanks in advance.

I'm new here and I just purchased a pair of ML Mosaics from Tweeter over Christmas. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Anyway, I also bought a Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver (great deal too) as well and I am wondering if I need an amp to help power these. It just seems that the volume has to be turned up quite a bit to get strong sound.
I have been reading a lot about Outlaw Audio and their equipment seems to be quite nice at a great price. I am thinking of going with 2 2200 monoblock amps. These should put out plenty of power for these speakers and the sound is supposed to extremely clean.
As of right now, I just have the fronts and I'm about to purchase a center in the near future as well as a sub. When I do buy the center, I can just pick up another 2200 to help with power.
Please let me know if this sounds like a good route, or if I'm wasting my time.
Thanks in advance.

Hola Billy...the question is, do you have distorted sound? If not, then you don´t need more power. If you like the sound that your Yamaha is giving, then use the level knob at your needs. Usually ML speakers needs more juice than others, but your new Mosaics can deliver great sound. Only if you abusse of clipping your Yamaha could harm both, speakers and amplifier. But if you have clean sound, even when you have strong sound. Trust your ears, they will tell you when you have bad sound or your amp is clipping (distorted sound). My advise is, play the music as loud those musical instruments would play in your room without any amplification, this is, classical guitar, or a piano. If you use too much level, your ears will get tired and you only will enjoy the music for just a fraction of time if you use less level. With less level you could spend all day listening incredible music without any ear fatigue. ML is great!...happy listening,
Roberto.

They will probably be better than the Yamaha for power. You can use the Pre-Outs of the Yamaha to the Outlaws. The nice thing about the Outlaw is if you do not like them, you can return them. So to me it is a no-brainer to give them a try to see if things improve.

Dan

I have a couple of the Outlaw 2200 monoblocs that I use to biamp my Ascents. I have the 2200s running the woofers. I think they are great amps and would probably power your mosaics much better than your Yammy. For the money, I don't think you can do better than these 2200 monoblocs.

I was wondering what the output of that Yammy receiver is? I'm temporarily using a pair of Mosaics with a 100 wpc Panasonic XR25 receiver. The Panny does a great job filling the 20x29x10 room that the Mosaics are in. It is possible that the output of whatever you are using for playback is a bit low for the receiver to reach full output. You might try this:.... If you are using digital output to the receiver try using the players analog outputs to see if it makes a difference. If you are already using the anies, try switching to digital.

Last edited:
Jerry, Audioholics tested the 2500 into 2 channels at 8 Ohm and measured 2x 135W. Into 4 Ohm they only got 2x 110W.

Billy, replacing the Yammy power amps with separates will improve the sound but in the end it would still sound like the Yammy. Its pre-amp imprints its signature on the sound. I went through this experience when I bought my mono blocks, using the Yammy 1600 as the pre-amp. The sound was better but not as much as I had hoped. However, after I replaced the Yammy pre-amp with a separate part, the improvements were dramatic. (And that piece costs all of $300.)

I have not gone back and tried how the Yammy power amps sound with the separate pre, but I suspect that the result would be more pleasant than the Yammy pre into separate power amps.

The cruel fact of the matter is that Yammies - at least the older ones like your's and mine - are unfit for Logans.

Where in Houston are you? I'm not too far from the Galleria.

Finally: :welcome:

I appreciate everyone's opinions and help. I still don't know what I am going to do. I hate to get rid of the yamaha because i just bought it. I might go ahead and buy the monoblocks and go from there sometime in the future.
ralflar, I'm up near The Woodlands area, about 25 minutes north of Houston.

Back