AMP needed for ML ESLx

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnanstad

Reaction score
so I find myself without an Amp. Long story, not relevant. I have a McIntosh C47 pre/dac and Martin Logan ESLx speakers. I am am looking for the best sounding amp I can find for around $4k. Only looking for suggestions please, not a course in watts, ohms, volts, etc. :)

I am considering, but not limited to:

McIntosh MC275 (tube amp)
McIntosh MC302 or MC402
Sanders ELS MonoBlocks

Looking forward to your experiences with different amps and the ESLx speakers.

Thank you for your time!

I've heard McIntosh/ML setups but haven't yet experienced Sanders. The tube McIntosh, specifically the 275, seems to start squashing the treble at high volume, but sounds great otherwise, and the 302 vs 402 - I'd go for the 402 and get more headroom.

I've only read glowing reviews on Sanders so you probably can't go wrong there either, plus they're monoblocks so, even better!

Like Tom said, all are good choices.

In a nutshell:
First choice: Sanders MonoBlocks
Second choice: MC402

edit: Full disclosure: I haven't heard tubes on the active woofer models. I should do this.

Last edited:
best 'sounding amp' ...... your three choices vary by quite a bit sonically. What exactly are you looking for ?

Hola,

You can consider a very good sounding amp, the Conrad Johnson model Classic 62SE. It comes with Teflon Caps, and also the KT-120s output tubes. You can buy the Classic with the most used classic sound tube with it, the EL-34/6CA7. Both models exhibit a great overall sound. My taste favors the KT-120 power output tubes, but this is my liking.
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/conrad-johnson-classic-62se-and-classic-120se-power-amplifiers/
Read this review above.
Happy listening!

McIntosh MC302 or MC402
Sanders ELS MonoBlocks

Thank you for your time!

As a non-expert ML owner - having bought my first MLs last month - I can attest that the Sanders amp is very good indeed. However with your budget you won't get monos, but do you really need them? The stereo version is 4-500 watts into 8 ohms and 900 or so into 4, so surely plenty to drive difficult ESLs.

Also probably better to go for the more-recent Magtech version. This is exactly the same except equally suitable for non-ESL speakers. I believe the amp circuit is the same but the power supply is upgraded - but that's my understanding - check with Roger Sanders who will give you excellent and constructive advice. I was lucky in finding a used Magtech in the UK and his advice on what to look for to check its condition was very much appreciated.

Last edited:
so I find myself without an Amp. Long story, not relevant. I have a McIntosh C47 pre/dac and Martin Logan ESLx speakers. I am am looking for the best sounding amp I can find for around $4k. Only looking for suggestions please, not a course in watts, ohms, volts, etc. :)

McIntosh MC302 or MC402
Sanders ELS MonoBlocks

Thank you for your time!

The primalunas seem to get good press and we have had members here give the thumbs up. Gotta find a dealer to have a listen though to see if u like. Although I could see you wanting to hang w your Mac pre. I’ve heard Logan’s on Mac. I believe it was a 601 or 501. I liked. Heard the 302 w Sonus Faber and b&w 802d - good as well. My impression of the SS Mac amps is - leaning just a smidge on the warm side with smooth highs. More organic than detailed. My hunch is the sanders is going to be a bit more detail and less organic. Depends on your ears. :). Nice to see u Roberto - btw.

Back