Aeon i placements

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOUNTAIN

Reaction score
I currently have been experimenting with placement with the Aeon i's and have had mixed results. In the first few days of trying different toe-in's, width distances, distance from back walls, angle adjustments through the spikes, etc, I thought at times I had the best placement for the speakers. But when I experimented some more I found new heights the Martin's were able to achieve. Here's my questions: How do I know when I have the best placement? Is there an exact formula? Are there standard ratios to use? I love the way they sound now and therefore i'm afraid to move them, but I felt this way a couple of weeks ago until I got the nerve to move them. It was then that I found an even deeper soundstage with more involving music. Maybe it's just me, but such small adjustments can make a noticeable differnce for good or bad. Any suggestions? I believe my current settings (approx) are 7' 6 wide, 35" off the back wall, a mild toe-in (who knows what that means because I don't), and my listening seat is 9'. I belive these are close measurements but not exact. Thanks, and if you need more info, or more exact measurements please let me know if this will help in your suggestions:D

Fountain,

I think you have found it. If you are happy with the way it sounds leave it for awhile or least a few days or weeks. :) At this point I would take measurements with a tape measure as to how far away from the side wall, back wall, outside edge to back wall, inside edge to the back wall and the inside distance between the speakers then write it down. This will be your "new" reference point to always move from or back to.

What sounds good to you is the most important attribute of your system. None of us can tell you exactly what is right since we are not there and do not hear the same as you do you are the expert.

Bottom line if you like, enjoy the music!!:cheers:

Jeff:musicnote:

When I'm satisfied with a particular speaker location I like to put a small strip of masking tape to mark the positions as a reference point. You can place it behind the speaker or just underneath the rear edge to hide it. That way you can experiment with other locations but easily come back to the reference point if needed.

Thanks Jeff and Craig. If I decide to move them again at some point I will make those measurments you suggest along with marking the spots with some tape just in case. One last question for now, If the speakers sound slightly on the bright side when words with sh... and ch.... are used what tweaking in the movement should I use? Would that be more of toe-in or height adjustment? If I had to find a weakness in the way it sounds at times, then this would be it. Otherwise I am hog heaven:D . Thanks again guys for your assistance.

Fountain,

I would first say to tilt them back a bit but then if you are hearing "bright" with sh & ch sounds I wonder if it is your source. My CD did that before on a few recordings before I readjusted it and of course turntables are know to do that especially with a "dirty" surface or worn cartridge.

Just a thought

Jeff:musicnote:

Thanks Jeff for your help. Athough I haven't ruled out my source as the issue I don't think it is (at least I hope not). I currently use the Reaga apollo cd player as my source and Rega Cursa 3 as my preamp. Hopefully tommorow I will get a chance to do what you suggested and tilt my speakers back. Thanks again.

I was wondering if the 35 inches off the back wall is the maximum you have had your speakers off the back wall. I had my Aerius i's 50 inches off the back wall, I now have my oddessey's, which replaced the Aerius , 54 inches off the back wall. This measurement is to the stator panel.

Sometimes room considerations or possible WAF won't allow for the speakers to be brought farther out into the room , if that isn't a consideration, you might want to try it and have the same seating distance away from the speaker as you have now.

I have heard good things about the Rega Apollo, I think it isn't a culprit and its quite okay in your system.

Last edited:
Thanks moon, I wish I could move the speakers off the back wall that far but the room dimensions just want allow it. I can though spare maybe 3 more inches farther. Thanks for the compliment on the Rega apollo, I sure have enjoyed it thus far:D .

Latest posts

Back