7.1 HT Preamp w/HDMI recommendations needed

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a place and time for having separate inputs for each video source. Mainly so you can calibrate the display for each. But these days, most high end displays give you multiple memory functions to accomplish this. Also, some Onkyo and Integra processors have all the ISF calibration tools built in so you can do it in the processor.

I wish they put dual HDMI outputs on mid to high level bluray players so you could send video straight up, and audio to the processor. I guess you could use splitters, but there is also something to be said about having the least amount of "stuff" in the chain...for both audio and video. Surely, every box or cable you add will have an effect. Good or bad is the question.

I think that the biggest reasons to upgrade to a newer processor is to gain room correction and better audio or video processing. HDMI is nice in some cases, but I have seen bluray at 720p/1080i via component video on a display that was not 1080P and it still looked 10x better than standard DVD. You can get the HD audio via analog inputs/outputs. Nothing broadcast on cable, DirecTV, or Dish Network is any higher than 1080i (maybe some VOD stuff is in 1080P yet?).

The benefits of HDMI are not quite enough IMHO to start replacing expensive pieces of gear that otherwise still function properly and satisfactory. It sure can clean up a rats nest of wires though. :) Some people like that. But you really need to have every device in your system HDMI. Makes a clean install.

When HDMI 1.4 rolls out and if it does what they are claiming it will, that will be the time to jump on the wagon. So if you can hold out a few years, it might be worth it.

Zaph, as a fellow CRT'er, I understand your desire to have great scaling. But after doing much of what you outline, I finally switched to a processor that could do it all and have been extremely happy.

yeah, i hear you Jon. i'm just glad that i didn't go with the lexicon AV processor when deciding between it and the bryston. HDMI was just about to leap out at that time and my lexicon would have been worthless on the video side. by keeping the video seperate i didn't get hit by the HDMI steamrooler (too badly :) )

you are right, when HDMI 1.4 comes of age maybe i'll make the jump to an integrated AV unit. but it better have the capability to input different formats (HDMI/component/&c) and only require 1 cable to the display - not one for each type of input!

i'm with Timm on keeping the video out of the audio chain. i have a separate chain for video consisting of mainly extron broadcast quality gear.

keeping the video chain seperate has also allowed me to maintian the audio side while upgrading video to incorporate HDMI as it came into the pic over the last few years.

but the one thing that really bugs me about AV processeser is that they route the video signal but do not translate it to different formats. so if you have an HDMI input (blue-ray), a component input (sat or digital TV), a laptop (RGB) and perhaps an old VCR or laserdisc (S-video) you end up with 3 video cables to the display.

pretty much all of the installs i've done for people end up with multiple video cables to the display and switching on the display. thank goodness for Harmony remotes. :)

the scalers in my video chain take my multiple source types and resolve them into one RGBHY cable to the projector.

video is a whole second world of gear and tweaks - so i get twice the fun as i would with just one AV box!

If I'm not mistaken, I thought that some of the mid to high end pre/pros converted signals input on different formats and output those signals via HDMI. I'm not home right now, but I think my Integra DTC 9.8 does this (I only run HDMI, so it is not an issue for me), and I think I had read that the new Classe and Denon pre/pros do this as well. I'll check when I get back home, unless someone else knows for sure.

Yeah, most any pre/pro, and even most receivers now will transcode any video input and send it out any higher form. This included HDMI. Although I will say that I have not seen any composite or s-video signal converted to HDMI that looked very good. Wii especially. Unwatchable IMHO unless you run a composite to the display.

Latest posts

Back