System #64 (Monolith IIIp, Scenario, Cinema, Depth)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
System #64 (Monolith IIIx, Scenario, Cinema, Depth and Depth i)

. Member Name: Cherian

2. Location: Gurnee IL

3. ML Model(s): (2) Summit (2) Scenario (1) Theater i (2) Depth i (2) Depth (4) Motion FX (2) Electro Motion R

4. Year Purchased: 2005 to 2019

5.Mods: none

6. Associated Electronics:
65" LG OLED 4K HDR TV
Marantz SR7009 9.2 Receiver
Conrad Johnson ACT 2 pre-amp for (2 channel) only
Conrad Johnson Premier 350SE amp (2 channel bi-amped)
Esoteric DV-50s UDP (2 channel only)
Xbox One X
PS3
Power conditioner: ETA DPC2400View attachment 9562View attachment 9563View attachment 9565View attachment 9566View attachment 19932

Attachments

• 2 Cha.jpg
    2 Cha.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Atmos.jpg
    Atmos.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Thats a nice little system you have there.

I think you scenario's at the back of the room would sound better if you could rase them up 6 to 8" higher.

Some updated pictures:

1) Autographed by Bob Carver TD-1400 Cassette deck
2) Carver TX-8 AM FM tuner
3) Technics Graphic Equalizer SH-8066
4) Sunfire Symphonic reference amplifier
5) Carver SD/A-490T with Tube output

I do love the vintage carver stuff.

Attachments

• DSC00913.JPG
    DSC00913.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 5,138
  • DSC00935.JPG
    DSC00935.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 4,819
  • DSC00941.JPG
    DSC00941.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 4,868
  • DSC00945.JPG
    DSC00945.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 5,240
Cherian, Good day, just purusing the members section and noticed your poster of the 20th Century Ltd, back in the day one of our Nations premier passenger trains, NY to Chgo in 16 hrs !

also is that Mr. Carvers autograph on your cassette deck ??

Great to see another ML/Carver fanatic on this list!!!

So how do you like your SD/A-490? I'v heard good and bad things about them. when they first came out, I auditioned a few, once with some Krell amps and ML Prodigies, and it sounded VERY smooth...

Welcome, and three cheers fo rthe Carver/ML combo! Very spiffy ooking gear...

--Richard C.

Dave, yes that is an autographed TD-1400 it’s my pride and joy only in knowing that Bob “The Man” Carver touched it. I wish at the time I had my Lightstar Reference amp I would have had him sign this. Oh well, maybe next time.

Richard, I do like my SD/A-490t. It is a good CD player and its been going strong for over 15 years now. I know Bob Carver had nothing to do with its design but still a nice unit. I still see these sell on e-bay for $450.00. I do change from my SS out CEC to the SD/A-490t when I want more warmth. Joey listened to it and I think it got him hooked on tubes. I am indeed a Carver fan!! To me its good value for the money. Listed below are all the carver stuff I own. I should sell some of it but I have a hard time parting with any of it.

(2) A-220 amp
(1) TFM-25 amp
(2) A-500X amp
(1) TFM-22 amp
(1) SD/A-490t CD player
(1) TX-8 AM/FM tuner
(1) TD-1400 Cassette Deck
(1) Sunfire Theater grand II Pre
(2) Sunfire Symphonic reference amp
(1) Lightstar reference amp

Dave, yes that is an autographed TD-1400 it’s my pride and joy only in knowing that Bob “The Man” Carver touched it. I wish at the time I had my Lightstar Reference amp I would have had him sign this. Oh well, maybe next time.

Richard, I do like my SD/A-490t. It is a good CD player and its been going strong for over 15 years now. I know Bob Carver had nothing to do with its design but still a nice unit. I still see these sell on e-bay for $450.00. I do change from my SS out CEC to the SD/A-490t when I want more warmth. Joey listened to it and I think it got him hooked on tubes. I am indeed a Carver fan!! To me its good value for the money. Listed below are all the carver stuff I own. I should sell some of it but I have a hard time parting with any of it.

(2) A-220 amp
(1) TFM-25 amp
(2) A-500X amp
(1) TFM-22 amp
(1) SD/A-490t CD player
(1) TX-8 AM/FM tuner
(1) TD-1400 Cassette Deck
(1) Sunfire Theater grand II Pre
(2) Sunfire Symphonic reference amp
(1) Lightstar reference amp

Cherian,

First off, nice system! Another Carver fan here....Where is your Lightstar amp and how do you compare it with the Sunfire two channel signature amps. I've always been curious about that. I couldn't afford a Lightstar when they came out, but I jumped on the Sunfire stuff as soon as I could afford it.

Once again, great system:cheers:

Dan

Thanks for the nice comments. Listed below is the link to the thread outlining how I got the Lightstar. This link even has some pics. The Lightstar reference is the best amp I own. Its put away for now because in one years time I will move to the burbs and have a house with a basement “The ManCave” as I call it. Here I will either get the Summits, Monoliths or Prodigy and use the Lightstar to power my 2 Channel system. What I can tell you is the bass from the Lightstar is much tighter. The Lightstar also has a warmer sound then the Sunfire. This must be because the amp runs so hot:D . The Lightstar runs as hot as a Class A amp, even though this is the first Carver amp to use down tracking technology. Sonically I prefer the Lightstar to the Symphonic reference.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1491&highlight=Lightstar

Thanks for the nice comments. Listed below is the link to the thread outlining how I got the Lightstar. This link even has some pics. The Lightstar reference is the best amp I own. Its put away for now because in one years time I will move to the burbs and have a house with a basement “The ManCave” as I call it. Here I will either get the Summits, Monoliths or Prodigy and use the Lightstar to power my 2 Channel system. What I can tell you is the bass from the Lightstar is much tighter. The Lightstar also has a warmer sound then the Sunfire. This must be because the amp runs so hot:D . The Lightstar runs as hot as a Class A amp, even though this is the first Carver amp to use down tracking technology. Sonically I prefer the Lightstar to the Symphonic reference.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1491&highlight=Lightstar

I went and checked out your story....pretty cool. I almost did that with a pair of Amazing Loudspeakers.

Cherian, cool system.

I'm also a long time Bob Carver fan myself.

How's the power conditioning system working for you?

I gather one of the units is that big grey box under the center, right?

Cheers,

Jonathan,

Thanks for the kind words. The power conditioner is working well. It is hand built by yours truly. It is good to have access to the skunk works at Powervar. I’m building a new one so the one I have now may be up for sale soon.

Attached are updated pics of my system. I have added a ML Depth sub and all the Carver and Sunfire amps have been replaced with Monarchy class A amps.

(2) SE-100 mono-block for front L and R
(1) S/M-70PRO for rear L and R
(1) S/M-70PRO mono-block for Center.

Attachments

• DSC01421.JPG
    DSC01421.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 4,429
  • DSC01430.JPG
    DSC01430.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 4,312
  • DSC01435.JPG
    DSC01435.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 4,779
Holy Smoke! (pun intended).
That rack must get pretty toasty with 340 class A watts.
I saw a pair of those 100 watt monoblocks on A-gon and considered giving them a shot, but here in Texas in a small room I thought better of it.
How do you like them?
Mike

It gets hot, very hot. I placed them as low as I could and did put as much space as I could between them. I love these amps!! You can read my review of the SE-100 delux in the Amp review section of this site. The sound is very different than with the Carver’s. These amps are very musical.

Cherian, Lookin' sweet my friend !!! Think postive .....come winter time you'll be able to heat the house with those babies !!!

Guess I'll have to invite myself over next time I'm in Chicago !!

Dave,

You are welcome anytime. Music and beers are on me.

I have updated and edited my system pictures to its present state (see first post). I have it tuned it as much as I can for now. I’m enjoying this system for both 2 channel and HT. However, 2 channel listening with the Monoliths and CJ gear is when it shines.

"Cher", again....Looking good ! Hopefully on my 'next' trip to Chgo we can get together.

Looking great Cherian. I can't believe how much your system has changed over the last 2 years or so. Is that Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" on vinyl on the equipment stand to the right? Are you picking up a turntable soon? Now that would really make those Monoliths sing!

;)

Back