System #163 (Vistas, Cinema)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerius007

Reaction score
Name: Zachary Aaron

ML models: Vantages, Cinema, and Aerius i

Year bought: late 2006

No Mods

Associated components: Bat VK-30se, BAT VK-500, Yamaha rxv-992, Acurus 100X3, Rotel 1072 cd player, Toshiba 50", Velodyne CT-12, MIT cables and a Oneac line conditioner.

I used to be into this stuff years ago and have caught the bug again. Last time around I powred the Logans with Krell and Acurus but decided on BAT this time around with no regrets. Future upgrades will be a tubed BAT VK-5i and a plasma 50" to get the big projection out of the way. That way I can put the components in a shelf in the middle and seperate my speakers a little more. I also plan on upgrading my sub to either a Sunfire, which I had last time I did this, or maybe even a ML.

Attachments

• little logan.jpg
    little logan.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 1,882
  • small stereo.jpg
    small stereo.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1,868
  • smaller stereo.jpg
    smaller stereo.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,868
Last edited:
Wow, those Vistas look nice.

What did you think about moving from the Aerius to the Vista at first? Was it a no-brainer?

I sold the aerius speakers about 7 years ago so there was no A/B testing. I moved into a new house with new acoustics and all new (new to me) equipment. I will say I loved the aerius and have a used set that I can buy for around $700. I think I am going to buy them, use them for HT and put the Vistas with the BAT upstairs for dedicated 2 channel.

It never ends.

I will say I loved the aerius and have a used set that I can buy for around $700. I think I am going to buy them, use them for HT and put the Vistas with the BAT upstairs for dedicated 2 channel.

That is a GREAT DEAL! I would buy them if they were close by. I sold mine for $1000 just a month or so ago. They were in quite good shape and sounded GREAT!

Great setup! I bet that BAT sounds awesome, but it looks like it's sitting directly on the carpet. I hope it's got something solid under it to allow better ventilation! I seriously lusted after the dual mono VK-500, but ended up going with a Belles 350A Reference, which I'm very pleased with. I hope to audition a BAT design in my setup someday.

I recently replaced my Aerius i's with Summits. The Aerius' sounded great, and aside from their (obviously) limited bass, they were superbly balanced tonality, arguably almost as good as the Summits in midrange and highs. I would expect the Vistas to have a wider sweet spot than the Aerius, and perhaps a tad more bass. If you can get a used pair again for $700, that's a helluva deal!

schweeet system!... I second sleepysuft's comments about hoping the BAT is on something other than carpet... Very intersted to hear about your future decision tree about the sub... I'm leaning toward the Velodyne DD-15 myself... but Sunfire and ML are still on the table.

Beautiful Vista Cinema i system...

Aaron,

I've seen this wonderful system somewhere before... :D I'm so glad you posted your system here, now it is imortilized here in the ML Club Member Systems hall of fame... :D I love the new digital photos as well. Your system is marvelous that's for sure. :D

Zach, Welcome ! and may your journey be an exciting one, it sounds like your off to a good start ! also to reiterate what Sleepysurf said, give your "Bat" some better breathing room !

I know, the BAT on the floor scares me too. I have a BAT VK-5i bought that should be here next week and the rotel cd player is at the dealership waiting for me to pick it up. So in a few days this system is going to be ripped apart and split into two different systems. A 2 channel system upstairs (BAT gear and Vistas, no carpet) and the HT downstairs where it is now. I am getting rid of the Sunfire Theater Grand and going back to my Yamaha theater processor. Not that I like the Yama better but I am going to buy a pair of Aerius i (with the sunfire money) for the theater, run the front 3 off of the Acurus and the rears off of the Yama, for now anyways. I will post picks when I get this done, hopefully by next weekend.

Some changes have been made to the system.

I sold the 50" Toshiba and bought a 50" Phillips plasma. I am hoping to install it tomorrow. I also am taking the Vistas, BAT amp, and Sunfire pro out of the HT system. I am going back to my Yamaha 5.1 which will be powering the rears and using the Acurus to power the center and a pair of Aerius i I picked up yesterday. I will probably order an Oppo dvd in the next few days. Future upgrades will be (no time soon) a 5 channel amp and a set of logan electrostat rears.

The Vistas, BAT, rotel and Sunfire are making their upstairs for a 2 channel system in my living room. I have the Sunfire for sale and will be getting a BAT tube pre soon. I am negotiating with someone right now on one. I will post picks as soon as it is all set up.

EDIT: I just moved the BAT amp and my back feels like I was hit with a frozen sledgehammer. The price we pay...

Last edited:
Some changes have been made to the system.

I sold the 50" Toshiba and bought a 50" Phillips plasma. I am hoping to install it tomorrow. I also am taking the Vistas, BAT amp, and Sunfire pro out of the HT system. I am going back to my Yamaha 5.1 which will be powering the rears and using the Acurus to power the center and a pair of Aerius i I picked up yesterday. I will probably order an Oppo dvd in the next few days. Future upgrades will be (no time soon) a 5 channel amp and a set of logan electrostat rears.

The Vistas, BAT, rotel and Sunfire are making their upstairs for a 2 channel system in my living room. I have the Sunfire for sale and will be getting a BAT tube pre soon. I am negotiating with someone right now on one. I will post picks as soon as it is all set up.

EDIT: I just moved the BAT amp and my back feels like I was hit with a frozen sledgehammer. The price we pay...

Holy cow! You upgrade equipment faster than Joey.......

Some new pics of the 2 channel setup, I will post the HT in a few. The Sunfire is listed on audiogon for $800, I have made a deal for a BAT VK-5i.

Attachments

• small 2channel.jpg
    small 2channel.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,863
  • 2 electo.jpg
    2 electo.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 2,043
The HT setup. I need a line conditioner and a new rack for the components and center channel. The sub is in the back of the room.

Attachments

• small ht2.jpg
    small ht2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 333333.jpg
    333333.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,672
  • dark ht.jpg
    dark ht.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,622
  • sing fish22222.jpg
    sing fish22222.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,644
Last edited:
Cool setups - The rack does look a little funny with the center channel being wide like that on top...what are you planning on replacing it with ?

Cool setups - The rack does look a little funny with the center channel being wide like that on top...what are you planning on replacing it with ?

I will probably get something that hides most everything and put the cinema on top, I imagaine I will have to order the cinema stand. Bench, media stand, plasma stand, something like that. I hate looking at wires and clutter so I will get something sooner than later. I checked overstock and ikea but they didnt have anything, It has to be something made of wood to go with the look of the house. Any idea's?

nice fish i ahve a sw tank my self but its more of a reef setup.

I have a reef tank but it is small, a 24g aquapod.

Attachments

• smallest reef.jpg
    smallest reef.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
I have a reef tank but it is small, a 24g aquapod.

I have been LOVING all the tank shots! I grew up with quite a few small tropical tanks and always LONGED for a BIG salt tank. Never got around to it. Well, I am not dead yet, so maybe that is another hobby to get into in the future. I want to be rich enough to pay someone to come out and take care of it and keep it pretty for me though... I just want to sit and enjoy it! LOL!

I have 2 tanks but only take care of one. The small reef tank is my job but the bigger 120g trigger tank is taken care of by someone else. Its only $40 once a month. I would do it myself but it can be seen from both sides (the other side is the bedroom) and my arms are not long enough to clean both sides. Scuba Steve (tank cleaning guy) is around 6'4" and has a bit of a tough time, but its well worth the $40.

New pics of upgraded 2-channel.

I still need a rack to get this stuff off of the floor.

Attachments

• DCAO0094.JPG
    DCAO0094.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 643
  • DCAO0097.JPG
    DCAO0097.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 719
Back