System #460 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recipe is: 75% two times distil water. 20% Isopropyl alcohol. 3% soft detergent. 2% Agepon wetting agent or similar. Enjoy Rehan!

Thanks very much for the vodka martini shaken not stirred secret formula.

Please Roberto do u know if I simply submerge each record in warm water to remove the decades old dust, will this work?

Thanks very much for any help that may be forthcoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not recommend the warm water. Remember that the vinyl is tricking with temperature. Instead, you can use a good brush in circular motions (available at needledoctor.com) scrub the groves to remove the dirt. Use the fluid or just make some water with a detergent, to remove the dirt, and use plain water to clean all the excess of fluid. Then with a free lint cloth, you can dry it, using circular motions too.

I do not recommend the warm water. Remember that the vinyl is tricking with temperature. Instead, you can use a good brush in circular motions (available at needledoctor.com) scrub the groves to remove the dirt. Use the fluid or just make some water with a detergent, to remove the dirt, and use plain water to clean all the excess of fluid. Then with a free lint cloth, you can dry it, using circular motions too.

Thanks for warning me against using warm water. And thanks very much for the valuable expert advice.

When I clean the LP's I will pay heed to your sensible advice. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the tip of the needle is diamond? Diamond is the hardest material that its found in nature. Because the temperature at the tip is so high, instead of red color, its white! and its melting the soft vinyl. The vinyl physical property its, when it gets cold, goes to almost the same shape that it had. If you play several times the disc, the grove melts and deforms, causing distortion and noise. It needs to rest at least 24 hours to go back to its previous shape. Then you can play it again with no problem.

Why the tip of the needle is diamond? Diamond is the hardest material that its found in nature. Because the temperature at the tip is so high, instead of red color, its white! and its melting the soft vinyl. The vinyl physical property its, when it gets cold, goes to almost the same shape that it had. If you play several times the disc, the grove melts and deforms, causing distortion and noise. It needs to rest at least 24 hours to go back to its previous shape. Then you can play it again with no problem.

Roberto many thanks for your precious insight and advice.

If you have any questions relating to business or finance I will be happy to try and answer.

Just email me.

Hola Chicos. I have three new toys in my system. I got recently a balanced AC line conditioner. The model is BPT Signature 3.5 Plus. Please, read the 6 moons review: 6moons.com/audioreviews/bpt4/plus.html
I was used to AC dirt coming from the mains ac and my brain mentally filtered this unwanted noise as like listening to the music via analogue. Because the clicks and pops do not belongs to the music, my brain also filtered these unwanted noises. This unit cleaned all the dirt and now my system is free of noise. Is so transparent that if you concentrate well enough, you can listen the hammer with the plush hitting the piano key musical notes. Its so revealing, that I'm getting goosebumps listening to Valentina Lisitsa at the Royal Albert Hall: https://youtu.be/KV5bBmhSOEc

The second change is my new DAC. Its an Exasound model e:32. This Dac is made with the latest chip 9028, offering outstanding digital specifications, providing a superb s/n free of distortion: http://www.exasound.com/e32/e32DACOverview.aspx

Now I am into a new world of digital sound, so good, that you can make comparisons for the quality using DSD format at a sampling rate of 5,6MHz, 32 bits!
The Dac, using the virtual player HQPlayer by Signalyst, (www.signalyst.com) along with ASIO Software, make to this Dac to be one of the best sounding dacs available on these days.

If you like digital sound, try to listen to it. I do highly recommended.

The third change is the new Conrad Johnson amplifier model One Twenty SE. This amp, in my system, smoked my beloved Audio Research VT-100 MKiii, modified for KT-120s power tubes. This amp drives my CLX as never before. The stage is wider with a truly sense of 3D, and better with the size of the musical instruments. The holographic effect is more present. The extension is better for both extremes, lows and highs. Cleaner, crystal clear for voices with a natural cadency that you will find easy how good the recordings are. No glare at the voices, no sore throats! The guitar strings are plucked with an outstanding inherent harmonic texture. Winds are reproduced with the metal and also woods characteristics. Super dynamic and robust with the bass notes. The musicians are always at the stage with much air between them.
If you are looking for an amplifier with guts, dynamic, clean and simple in the design, this is it. High quality parts like teflon capacitors and metal foil resistors are used. These resistors have the advantage to bring the signal to noise ratio below -100 dB or even more!

My system is now singing as never before! For those that are searching for an AC line conditioner, search for balanced line! This is the way to go!

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Happy to hear your singers have upgraded their vocal abilities Roberto.

I agree that Valentina Lisitsa, Chopin piece is amazing.

Thanks Brad...by the way, you should give a try to the new BF-210 subs along with your CLXs. There is a special firmware that you download from ML site, to match the exact specific crossover point to blend the CLXs with the sub. You should give it a try, it won't harm your settings,or your system. The result is very enjoyable. As I always say, its not the quantity, its the quality. I believe that you will be happier. Do not get me wrong...I had also the Depth I and had once six at a time, in a bigger room, of course...but the sound of the BF-210 is quite different. It goes deeper, with outstanding clarity, and well defined bass notes without coloration...you can understand the difference between an E or an E-flat.

Relish the experience!

Roberto.

last pic of my system

This is what I have now...I am really enjoying the sound from this new DAC. To my ears, it is excellent.

Attachments

• DSCN2476.jpg
    DSCN2476.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 321
Roberto, So glad to hear that your system continues to put a smile on your face. It is amazing where the sound of DACs has come in the last 10 years.

Thank you Brad, and yes¡. DSD format had changed my perception about digital, and I have good turntables to play with. I made a comparison, and perhaps you will not believe it, but playing the same music, LP vs E-32, I liked better the DAC. I got the nostalgia about LPs. I am not playing anymore analogue. There are so many flaws on turntables, as an example: miss-tracking, distortion, clicks and pops, wow and flutter, tonearm resonances on certain bass notes making them to be over-bass and this does not happens on digital. Having both devices synchro, playing the same music at the same time, and using the same intensity level SPL, I chose now digital. I did play all kind of music, and great recordings...digital is working very well. Both medias are very good, but digital to my ears, is more precise and more real. The instruments are projected with the right musical notes energy...the lack of bad resonances made me to chose digital, but this is with this DAC, this is giving me a much better presentation at the stage and the air of the musical instruments. The harmonic texture, the timbre is very good too. cymbals are clear and sharp. Piano notes have the same feeling.

I am very happy with the new members, the Conrad Johnson gear and the DAC. All really worth every penny.
Happy listening!

I certainly was impressed by Roberto's system! That said, it was three years ago, when we both had the Audiolab MDAC. DSD does sound promising. I'm hoping to visit Roberto later this year.

Hola Tom. Yes I have. If you look at the right, you will see my Mac mini with 5 hard drives. There is where I have all my music. I use Audirvana Plus along with iTunes, and when I want to have better sound quality, I use the Signalyst software HQPlayer. This software is superb!

Happy listening!

I certainly was impressed by Roberto's system! That said, it was three years ago, when we both had the Audiolab MDAC. DSD does sound promising. I'm hoping to visit Roberto later this year.

Hola Bernard,

This is your system Bernard...you are more than welcome. What you did listen before, had changed dramatically for better. My power amp and my preamp is doing a breath taking sound. I have to include my new DAC too.

As I said before, mi casa es su casa don Bernard, please do come and take your time for a serious listening.

Please receive a big hug from Costa Rica! And I wish to you a very happy listening!
Roberto.

New pic of my system

Hola Chicos,

Here is the latest pic of my system. I have the Mac Pro and some external hard drives. Also, behind the sub, hidden is the JS-2 linear power supply by UpTone Audio.

Happy listening!

Attachments

• image-31Mar2019.jpg
    image-31Mar2019.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 188
The Linear power supply by Up Tone Audio model JS-2

Hola my dear friends,

This is the JS-2 Uptone Audio that I just to power my Exasound DAC E-32. It provides pure DC with no high frequency content usually found at the switching power supplies. This feature, what it does, is to restore the harmonic texture, usually missed by the digital sound. I do highly recommend it. The quality overall sound is unmatched. Let your ears decide. Once you hooked it up, you do not want to remove it from your system.

I wish to you a very happy listening!

Attachments

• image-31Mar2019-1.jpg
    image-31Mar2019-1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 181
Back