Nature smoothing out my system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosttoysrk

Reaction score
I had an extended listening session the other day with my cousin, both of us now mid age and we commented on the natural rounding off of high frequencies as one gets older. "almost tubelike" ;)
We have to enjoy it now before it becomes muted. I wonder what the sweet age spot is:D

My memories

I'm sure that I'm losing my ability to listen to high frequency, but when I was young I don't have any memory to listen to any music with much high frequency from any audio system then.

Now I'm very grad to listen to old vinyl because I can find out new dicovery from the old recordings with my modern gears. :bowdown:

Shuji

I think most popular music does not contain many notes above 12 khz. Classical music does, though. I remember back when I was shopping for a tape deck back in the -70's and I noticed that the Sony's and the Teac's would have a frequency range out to 20khz, but the real expensive and professional machines would only go out to 14khz! Why? Perhaps it was the slope? By that I mean, is it more important to capture music to 14khz within 1db than to capture it to 20khz within 3db?

Perhaps losing the ability to hear high frequencies above 14khz wouldn't too much diminish the pleasure of listening to music, but I'm sure it would some. Of course, there are other factors involved such as Tinitus or the slope of the frequency range that would come into effect with hearing loss that would have an effect.

I think most popular music does not contain many notes above 12 khz. Classical music does, though. I remember back when I was shopping for a tape deck back in the -70's and I noticed that the Sony's and the Teac's would have a frequency range out to 20khz, but the real expensive and professional machines would only go out to 14khz! Why? Perhaps it was the slope? By that I mean, is it more important to capture music to 14khz within 1db than to capture it to 20khz within 3db?
I'm sure that if you measured those mass-market tape decks to 1 dB they'd be lucky to see anything near 14 kHz. I really like "+/- 3 dB." Stock speakers from a '75 Monza are probably 40-20 kHz at +/- 3 dB. :)

My late father frequently listened to my system and was consistently able to discern good tonality, imaging, soundstage, air, performer positions within the soundstage and bass extension in good recordings. He was also able to tell me the merits/drawbacks of component changes in my system and good recordings vs. not-so-good ones.

He was not an audiophile, but loved classical piano music. He was able to do the above at the age of 90 and after being a WWII vet with some hearing loss (artillary barrages).

I wouldn't worry unduly about the aging process unless we are talking about becoming totally deaf. Most of us will be able to enjoy this hobby for a long, long time!

All the Best

Yeah, but your memory goes too. So you don't really remember that you used to hear all those high frequencies.

LOL

...He was not an audiophile, but loved classical piano music. He was able to do the above at the age of 90 and after being a WWII vet with some hearing loss (artillary barrages).

I wouldn't worry unduly about the aging process unless we are talking about becoming totally deaf. Most of us will be able to enjoy this hobby for a long, long time!

All the Best

Thanks very much for your post. I was about to get quite pessimistic!

Yeah, but your memory goes too. So you don't really remember that you used to hear all those high frequencies. ;)

LOL, that's a great point Rich.

I find it's a learned trait to be able to compare systems or settings within asystem, and do it realiably. That's also why I always use the measurement rig with the calibrated mike. I don't go by it alone, but it helps keep it real and fixes that 'memory' leak in the system ;)

My late father frequently listened to my system and was consistently able to discern good tonality, imaging, soundstage, air, performer positions within the soundstage and bass extension in good recordings. He was also able to tell me the merits/drawbacks of component changes in my system and good recordings vs. not-so-good ones.

He was not an audiophile, but loved classical piano music. He was able to do the above at the age of 90 and after being a WWII vet with some hearing loss (artillary barrages).

All the Best
We accept all too willingly the idea that age, in and of itself, causes ones senses to diminish, brain to turn to mush and other parts to require a jack:D, luckily it just ain't so. Keep using those parts, don't abuse them and they will actually last an entire lifetime, barring any traumatic incidents or disease.

Last edited:
Everyone always tells me...

"By the time you get to splurge on an audio system, your hearing will be on its way downwards..."

So sad but so true....

Joey

I had an extended listening session the other day with my cousin, both of us now mid age and we commented on the natural rounding off of high frequencies as one gets older. "almost tubelike" ;)
We have to enjoy it now before it becomes muted. I wonder what the sweet age spot is:D

Enjoy now, for sure. However, I have seen older guys who have claimed impaired hearing ability similar to what you describe discern subtle differences between inter connects!

Back