Turntable Owners?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Own a turntable?

• Yes, and I've used it this year at least once.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • Yes, but I haven't used it at all this year.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • No, but I plan to get one within a year.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters
Just sold my Rega P1 with no immediate plans to buy a replacement - but the analog bug can ambush a guy completely out of the blue... I'll let you know if I get bushwhacked.

Your "Yes" category has a serious limitation. I've used mine at least 150 times in the last year and I'd say that 60% of my new music purchases are on vinyl.

Your "Yes" category has a serious limitation. I've used mine at least 150 times in the last year and I'd say that 60% of my new music purchases are on vinyl.

Like Tim, I am also a 'hopeless analog junkie' , where most of my serious listening is through my TT

Not only do I have a turntable, it's the only permanent source in my system. There is a CD player in the house, but it rarely gets hooked up. I don't see the point in wasting time listening to CD when I have so many records to play!

Like Tim and co, I've used my TT rather more than once this year! :)

Yes, I just picked up a used SME model 10 and a new Shelter 501 mkII cartridge and it sounds insane good. That replaced a Scheu Analog Cello turntable that I thought sounded pretty good. I also have a Rega P-2 in my second system.

I started my new record collection with five or six records and now have over a thousand including a lot on newly remastered 33 1/3 and 45's.

My name is Ray and I'm an analog junkie...

I don't follow.

Option 1 is for you then.

That option just lets me know that you not only own one, but you still actively use it...rather than just owning one but you have it in storage since the 80's or early 90's or quite a while ago and haven't been using it.

My survey isn't to see how often someone uses it or if the use it more than their CD player. It's just to know if they actively still use it or plan to start using one.

I understand, and the survey results thus far at least would indicate that people either have them and use them, or don't have them at all. I think that's quite telling actually. I wasn't trying to fault your survey. I think that folks who are into vinyl are really into it.

I understand, and the survey results thus far at least would indicate that people either have them and use them, or don't have them at all. I think that's quite telling actually. I wasn't trying to fault your survey. I think that folks who are into vinyl are really into it.

Couldn't agree more!

Main rig Thorens 125 MKII, SME 3009II, Shure V15 IV owed since 1977 also a Pioneer PL1000A with a Grado Gold.

In use almost daily. If I had a nicer setup, I'd probably not get much sleep ;)

Have a SOTA Cosmos and it gets the majority of use in my system.

Rock solid reliable and extremely enjoyable listening.

I have a SCD 777 ES for digital and it is more fussy and demanding than my vinyl rig.

The SOTA is staying!

Cheap at the price

I like to call it hi resolution analog!

I used to go into the university town in the State i was visiting in the US and head for the nearby second hand book shop, I always came out with a stack of second hand boxed LPs for next to nothing!

Today, I have a source of the same up the road, you know what, it is still cheap, the price has remained the same.

Turntables have never been cheaper, or as well engineered as they are now.

Ponder this, there is 5x more information per inch of vinyl than there is on cd........( BTW, I am not a flat earther, I have equal amounts of both)

Something else to ponder as we look at digital, we finally can download hi resolution digital content that gets us to the Master Tape recording resolution ...........now that might be a reason to look at my Turntable sideways but it is not cheap (at present)........ hmmmmm how much for 16GB of memory, an iMac, SSD, 2TB HDD, Amarra software and a FireWire Weiss DAC?

I look at my cd collection and see it in much the same light as my aging Laser Disc collection...........nice in it's day but it is digital content that is 25 years old and it's resolving power is meek by today's standards........oops, standards, they keep changing.........how many have we had to date?

Which brings me back to cheap thrills c/o hi resolution analogue on an archive standard that has only been bettered by the Egyptians........stone!

To anyone who has read this far, these merely the ramblings of an old fart who enjoys robust discussion and being challenged, so there is no need for a religious war here on analogue versus digital. :music:

Have fun discovering the intimacy of hi res analogue music!

Fjeff

I think that folks who are into vinyl are really into it.

I sort of agree with what you're getting at, but disagree with this comment.

I answered "Used it more than once this year" too, but I am far from "into" analogue!

I have a Turntable permanently connected to the system, but it is rubbish (Dual 505). The sound is far from what my digital front ends (both music server and SACD player) are capable of delivering.

But I enjoy it nonetheless. Occasionally. Maybe once a month.

And.....(unless I find a super bargain) any lazy cash destined for front-end source investment will be unreservedly slated for digital upgrades.

Last edited:
The size of my analog music collection dictates that turntable playback represents at minimum 50% of my listen time and about 75% of my annual music spend.

This is not likely to change until high definition downloads are mainstream and far more common than today. I still buy cd's if I really want the music, but my first choice is to first see if there is a hi def download or vinyl available before buying the crappy plastic disk.

...I am an analog music junkie, my name in Ray, and I too am from Florida :rocker:

Hey there, Tim and Dave!!!

Well, I still use one. In fact, it never ceases to amaze me how much I still use one.

I must admit I hardly ever buy new vinyl these days, though. It's increasingly more and more just a method of listening to old classics which I don't own on digital. But sometimes, with some records that are 30-35 years old, I'm just left spellbound. It can still knock out a great subjective performance, no question, though technically it sucks, also no question!

Latest posts

Back